first time network questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowdragon66

Beta member
howdy y'all

okey dokey i've just picked up a router, a ZyXEL 660/HW series to be exact. and the first thing i've come across are the encapulsation and multiplex setting, where abouts can i go to find the answer to these, same for the vitural panel identifier and vitural channel indentifer

also how would i go about finding the ip address given by my isp?

also how do know what size isp client pool and the primary and second dns servers of my isp?

thanks in advance

shadow

most of those settings are way over a basic persons head, meaning you should not have to configure it. also the DNS server settings from your isp you shouldnt have to configure. it should all be automatic.

nonetheless, if you can connect to the internet, on the machine that connects, type in the command prompt "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and look towards the bottom and find where it says "primary dns server", thats the primmary dns server that your isp is using.

What type of broadband service are you using?
Is this a HOME network, or an BUSINESS network?

For the encapsulation info, you would be be best off calling your ISP to get that info...

have you tried using the Config Genie with the supplied CD for this piece of hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom