Firewall Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlayeR25

Solid State Member
Ok my firewall is of the Mcaffe brand. My friend told me that firewalls are usless and make your computer lag. Is this true? He seems to knwo what hes talking about. Can someone tell me If i should keep or let go of my firewall? What are the purposes for firewalls anyway? Thanks, and please help.

SlayeR25

A firewall, if configured correctly will keep out unwanted visitors. See this info: Understanding and Using Firewalls at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial60.html

Having a box full of malware or trojan will bring your computer to the floor.

You are the best judge of whether a firewall causes your computer to lag.

You can maximize your computer's ability by performing simple maintenance of emptying the temp, Temp Internet Files, Cookies, Prefetch (if you are running XP) defragging when needed.

There are several good scanning programs to make sure you have no malware, but if you don't have a firewall or AV scanner installed, those other programs just can't keep up with all the crapola you will get.

Good luck :)

Piney

After thinking about it I decided to download and use a firewall for security purposes. So i downloaded the free zone alarm one, recomended on this site. Thanks for the help.

ZoneAlarm is a good one, and it doesn't hog resources like some others try to do.

Next question, are you using anti-virus? Malware removers? Pop-up stoppers?

yes

I am running the AVG free anti virus, it is so much better then Mcafee. I am also running a free pop up blocker off majorgeeks.com and I am also running registry mechanic, spy sweeper, ad aware, spy doctor and advanced system optimizer.

Re: yes

SlayeR25 said:
I am running the AVG free anti virus, it is so much better then Mcafee. I am also running a free pop up blocker off majorgeeks.com and I am also running registry mechanic, spy sweeper, ad aware, spy doctor and advanced system optimizer.

Good man... :)

i ahve had bad results with zonealarm using sygate seems to work better less stressful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom