Finishing up the Man cave

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK - Pease refer to thread below for some prior questions/issues and what I am trying to accomplish in the new "mancave".

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/window-audio-device-fails-save-settings-274155/

I have definitely solved the handshake issue with the windows audio returning to default 2.9/16 bit setting. All I have to do is shut off the Sony AVS receiver prior to shutting off the plasma TV , then shut down the PC last and go the opposite when turning the set up back on. Yeah Team!!

Now getting into the visual and convenience "nitpicky" stuff.

I would like to have no Cords showing between the seating and the screen/TV. This mean running a USB extender cable from the PC around the cabinet behind the components ( Receiver, PS3) and under the carpet along the wall to come up behind the seating and then put a USB hub on a side table. Then connect mouse/keyboard/ headphones/joystick/etc. into the hub.

Apparently USB signal degrades , especially USB 3.0 so the cord has to be "active" and the hub has to be "powered". Not sure I need 3.0 but not much difference in price so might as well be ready for upgrades.

I have picked out these items to do the job and hope to get input/opinions and suggestions from you guys on my picks or if you have other suggestions.

1) USB powered HUB :

ORICO H9978-U3 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub with 36W Power Adapter (VIA VL812 Chipset. Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux support. Full USB 2.0 backwards compatibility.) - Newegg.com

2) USB 3.0 active extender cable:

SABRENT USB-3X5M 16 ft. Black USB 3.0 Active Extension Booster Cable - Newegg.com

3) USB audio adapter - to use headphones/mic

SYBA SD-CM-UAUD Adapter - Newegg.com

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hmm... That is an idea. I wont be using headphones often in the mancave , but I am going to start "learnign how to fly" - so expect to begin to use headset/multiplayer voice over IP stuff, etc. So will a wireless work for this? My nice wireless Sennheuser I use for movies/late night TV ,etc in the Living room Is comfortable and sounds great - but it is big/hot and a bit heavy compared to a lightweight headset. Do they make light weight wireless headset that still sounds OK?

Ya, those are pretty much the same as my Sennhauser's - other than it has a mic obviously. which would be OK, but maybe I will try a really cheapo headset with one earphone and a mic and only use it for the flying stuff not gaming.

How about the hub and the 3,0 USB extensor cable- A OK with those?

Maybe these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4Z72492946

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom