file system problem

terryhammer

Beta member
I am unsure if this is the best place to post this thread.
but it is sort of windows related so ...........
I have a strange problem I need to sort & need HELP.
some time ago i had a problem on a network storage system(nas)which entailed replacing drives etc. but the end result was that i manage to recover the data on the nas but I was advised to remove the data & then reset it up.
So before messing with it I copies all data from the nas to a hard drive which I installed into a plug in bay on my windows 8.1 machine.I remember checking it once the copy was done & all seemed fine.
For safe keeping I removed the drive & placed in a safe place.
However the other day I needed some of the data from the drive so I plug it into the bay again but windows explorer could not see it.So I went to Disk Management & here i could see the Drive . It showed two healthy
primary partitions but the column for file system was blank & also no letter was able to be assigned to the drive.
I downloaded "easeus recovery Wizard" & run this.In it's main window it display two folders on the drive $RECYCLE BIN & System Volume Information & under the column label 'path' NTFS/$RECYCLE BIN & NTFS/System........ respectively is displayed.
However it also showed a list of files, inorde_b,inorde_c,inorde_d etc & under path column the file name was proceeded by EXT2/FILENAME (i.e.EXT2/inorde_b.)these are nothing like what I copied over.
I was wondering if by a strange glitch etc. if raw data was copied across.
Now the scan will take 5 hours to complete & is running while I type this.
I downloaded some software which should be able to read EX2 format but as partitions have no drive letter so I am unable to use it.
After the scan I believe I will be given the choice to recover. But I do not want to recover the files in this format whatever it is but rather the items I copied across.
I am at a bit of a loss what to do & was hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance.

EXT2 / 3 / 4 are Linux drive formats. Most likely your NAS was running some flavor of Linux on it in the back-end. Easiest thing to do? Boot off of a LiveCD such as Ubuntu and see if you can access the drive. Then you can copy the files over to another HDD.

Back
Top Bottom