File sharing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamsalvation

Baseband Member
I just recently acquired a server that I am going to use on my network for file sharing and storage. It is running Windows 2k server. All the computers are networked using a hub (do not want my files accessable to everyone on the wireless network) and each have a wireless card for net access. My laptop, desktop, and the server are each plugged into the hub. The server can see files that my laptop and desktop are sharing but my desktop and laptop can not see files my server is sharing. Any ideas?

I'm guess you don't have Active directory running. Make sure you have at least one username and password configured on each of the computers.

I think the Guest account is disable by default, this is the account almost every NT version of windows uses to share file. On the server check administrator tools\computer management\local user and group-user. You will see Guest is mark out with a red x, that means it's disable so you'll have to enable it.

This is of course important if you don't have active directory installed. The Guest account is located in the "Everyone" group, you'll need to add this group to your folder security. By default I think it's only allow to read and list so it's not really a security issue.

Make sure Guest account is also enable on the client, this only apply to XP Pro and 2000. You don't need to do this on XP Home.

If you are running AD, Guest account should be disable! You should create each user account, add computers and set GPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom