Emit wireless signal from my laptop to my iPod Touch

PeterLittlejohns

Beta member
I post this message in a last desperate attempt to salvage the efforts I've gone to in my plight to secure a wifi connection for my ipod touch and, though not as important, my xbox.

I already have my predictions about the feedback I'm going to get for this thread, but I'd like to confirm these. Basically, I'm staying at my university's halls of accommodation where the only means of connection is an Ethernet cable from a wall socket. (picture attached) Now whilst the internet connection itself is more than satisfactory, whether through setting up ad hoc networks or even resorting to clients which do this for you (connectify I used), I cannot seem to enable my laptop to emit a wireless signal with internet connectivity. (picture attached of wireless connection's current state)

My question is, is it physically impossible to share your wired connection wirelessly with other devices without the use of a router? Many tutorials I have followed have led me to believe otherwise and through countless painstaking hours I've attempted to set up a wifi connection for my ipod touch to use.

The whole endeavour has led me to believe that the problem is one of two things:

a) My laptop cannot emit a wireless signal due to it's lack of DHCP (enabled with the wired connection provided by my university 'eduroam' it's called, however not enabled when I attempt to transmit wirelessly to my ipod) (pictures attached, first wired eduroam and second wireless)

b) My university security by firewall or proxy prevents its connection being shared through ad hoc networks even when a third party client such as connectify is used.

Could anybody enlighten me as to whether I'm poking around in the dark with my assumptions or if they are on the right wavelength, advise me as to what I may be doing wrong and how I may go about solving my problem?

Tl;dr: Can't emit WIFI signal from laptop to iPod, is this due to lack of DHCP with wireless connection which results from the lack of a router. Or is it likely my university's security preventing the eduroam internet service from being shared to other wireless devices?

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
Connectify doesn't give an error, it gives the illusion that it's emitting a wireless connection but my ipod just keeps loading on it and my xbox won't connect to it at all, but devices aren't actually being supplied with wifi but connectify makes it look like they just aren't connecting. The reason I've made the possible assumption about my university security blocking it is that as you can see by the second picture, packets are apparently being sent but not received. I even tried making rules in my firewall to let them through and that hasn't worked so unless it's not possible without a router, I can only assume my university has an overarching firewall to block everything that can't be authenticated by their eduroam login.

That shouldn't be the issue, I wouldn't think.

It's getting passed through your system, which has already been authenticated. I did this when I lived in the dorms and my dorm hall didn't have Wifi either ;).

I haven't used Connectify in a while (and the ones I used were early Beta versions); is there a different option other than Ad-Hoc?

Do the devices connect to the Connectify AP and get an IP address?

You need to follow a couple of simple steps
Bridge the connection between the ethernet and wifi, then create an ad hoc wifi network, with internet connection sharing.
but before even attempting this and have me create a guide read the stuff below.

vI work for about 50 different UK Uni's, part of my job is supporting the halls networks, most of which are resnet systems.

now to the main point your Uni uses the Resnet system, this is designed to only allow registered devices to connect to the network.
If the Resnet system detects a MAC address of a device that is not registered, it will be able to connect for a short period of time, then you connection will become blocked, either temporarily or permanently.
This all depends on how strict they are.
Some of the Uni's I deal with allow multiple devices and even a couple allow wireless routers to be connected.
The setup and terms & conditions for your Uni don't seem to discuss network sharing or setting up a wireless router. But do seem to indicate that it can only be one device that is registered at a time. So I am going to assume that it is not allowed, as most Uni's don't allow it.
You need to be careful with how you are messing around with this as you could get your access taken away for messing around with creating a wireless network, as it is deemed as a security breach.
Trust me the resnet scanning system is good, and is so sensitive that people can get blocked for using Virtual Machines to emulate different operating systems, as it creates a virtual bridge and virtual MAC address to allow the emulation to connect to the internet.
The systems proxy and firewall will not be the issue here, it is the network scanning system that detects everything from P2P software to unregistered MAC addresses that will stop you from being able to get this to work.

Now you might be able to add a USB wifi adapter to your laptop and create a bridge between the eduroam wireless network and a personal as hoc wireless network, as I know the xbox and iPod don't have the wifi network security settings to be able to handle this type of corporate wifi connection, but you might be able to share it, as eduroam does not require device registration. So if you can pick up this wifi network in your halls you could try a wifi to wifi bridge, and in theory it might just work.
But you still might not be able to get the xbox to work as it is most likely that the ports are blocked for xbox live and games.

I've attempted to bridge the connections of wired and wireless in order to emit wifi already but with no such luck. The thing is the only internet available is wired and therefore my task is to emit this same connection wirelessly, I'm extremely appreciative of both of your quick replies and help but before I fork out the cash for a wifi adapter, could you perhaps explain the logic behind it in contravention to why my wireless card would operate any differently?

**Just attempted to bridge the connections and share through connectify and it failed the authentication stage, so surely that points out the university security needs to allow it through for it to work? Also having done this my internet completely cut out until I removed eduroam from the bridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom