DSL only works in one room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
My parents currently have their PC in a room upstairs. They want to bring the PC downstairs to the living room. But when I brought the PC downstairs and hooked it into the phone jack, the modem wasn't getting the "line" lit up on their modem. I've looked a bit on google and saw something about filters and what not, but didn't really understand it (but also didn't look too in depth into it). All the phone jacks are the same from what my parents tell me. They use to have home phones hooked up to all the jacks.

- Is this common or are the jacks wired differently perhaps?

But that is all sort of a mute point because they are getting a new ISP to have higher speeds to watch shows online (goodbye directv). They have landed at getting Qwest as their new provider. I'm not sure if they provide DSL or Cable services. I do know that Qwest have a do it yourself installation (they send you a CD) which I told them I'd do (partly because my niece, that is in 6th grade, installed it at my uncles house without a hitch). The kit comes with a modem, all the necessary cables and 3 phone filters (ah ha!).

- So assuming all the jacks are the same (and the DSL doesn't work downstairs because of the 'filters'), installation with Qwest should go okay right?

Have you ever thought about keeping the modem upstairs plugged into the phone jack that you know works for sure and adding a wireless router to it. Then it wouldn't matter where your computer is.

I would try new Microfilters in all the jacks. Remember, you must have a filter plugged in to every phone socket that has anything connected to it.

Exept the DSL modem. Don't put a filter on that. You don't want to filter the DSL from the DSL modem, :big_grin:

Erm what? Sorry but a microfilter dose not work like that, the DSL signal is sent down the same phone line as the voice service, a microfilter removes noise and then essentially filters the DSL output from the phone side of the filter and the voice from dsl side.

Erm what? Sorry but a microfilter dose not work like that, the DSL signal is sent down the same phone line as the voice service, a microfilter removes noise and then essentially filters the DSL output from the phone side of the filter and the voice from dsl side.

Ohh well sorry. I was just going from what I thought on how our DSL is set up. I only have micro-filters on the phone lines, The DSL modem does not have a micro-filter.

But as far as I know, maybe it has one built into the inside of it. Sorry If I was wrong or mis-leading. Thank you for correcting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom