DSL Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomniac41

Solid State Member
This might be hopeless but i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ATM/AAL (As viewed from my modem statistics page/log) on a DSL modem refers to and why it might be having a large number of errors like 65000, i talked to my ISP but theyre all morons; according to the tech support person my 1000Mbit slower speeds were still good speeds, so i decided i was going to have to look for answers elsewhere. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1000MB!

why are you complaining at that?

Errors are sometimes caused by spyware and things like that

No, you misunderstood me, im getting 1000 Kb (bit not byte) SLOWER speeds than i usually get. So roughly 120KB down or slower rather than the 230 -250 range i used to recieve. My line at my house tests at 2.2Mb and i was used to getting 1.9Mbps doing a speed test, but now im only getting 800-1000Kb, what might the issue be? Ive had a repair man at my house who replaced my modem already so im stumped.

It Could be that you are sharing your "2.2MB" with upto 150 other people (if you live in the UK like me anyway)

this could be part of the problem. if this is the case you cannot do very much short of change ISP's!

Its possible, but im not so sure thats the issue, ive had DSL for a yr or 2 now with my speeds never consistently this slow, im also have the errors mentioned above. Thanks though

Chris1991, DSL technology runs over copper phone cables, from the end users's residence or business to the Central office. The only way you would be 'sharing' or 'fighting' for bandwidth is if you have a 'party line'. A party line is something from decades ago (some places still actually have party lines) where MANY people share the same telephone line. Anyone with a telephone line should have a DEDICATED connection to the CO, therefore their bandwidth isn't really shared (between the end user and the CO). It is possible for bandwidth restriction if there is a congested trunk, but I am not even going to get into that.

A medium like cable internet IS a shared medium, and depending on the number of users sharing the same Node, a reduction in speed may be experienced.

insomniac, are you experiencing any troubles with your telephone line? Any audible issues such as static, or clicking, or perhaps dropped calls?

no, i have not noticed any substantial noise/clicking on the phone, ive had a repair man at my house who mentioned detecting some noise on the line though, if that relates to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom