Dota2 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, seriously, I just can't understand why people like dota so much, it was a cheesy map that had an oddball following :-\

There was more complexe maps that actually had story and save/load codes unlike the earlier, and most likely current dotas :-\

The funny part is, I guess they can not say Defense of the Ancients in the DOTA2 game.

This thread is hard to read. You guys need to check up on your facts.

Wait a minute, is DOTA2 gonna be standalone, or will it be a map in sc2/wc3??? Blizzard owns the copywrite on DOTA, well, every game played/used in the software they sell, so how can Valve "release" dota 2?
Standalone game. Blizzard's rights on DotA are long gone. While it may have been a grey area at one point, their chance to take legal actions disappeared a long time ago when LoL, HoN, and Demigod entered the market.

I've always wondered what DotA is, I hear the name all the time (Defence of the Ancients, but what does that mean?)
Start with the wikipedia entry, it's pretty accurate. Defense of the Ancients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blizzard sold it to Valve.

There is a ton of crap going down inside Valve right now... Yay.. Conflict!

The Truth About IceFrog: Behind the ********
No, Blizzard did not sell DotA to Valve.
Also, Valve has already stated that the conspiracy blog is completely false (which should be obvious from reading it, but I guess people like drama).

That confuses me even more sadly... I mean Dota seemed like a normal every day map, but it was just more enjoyable for people to play... Not sure how they are going to make an entire video game based off of a single map and mission in all honesty....

You would think the RPG maps would be earning there own names as some have communities that rival that of dota, and a lot of the times, they have story/lore incorporated....

Sigh, such confusing crap. -.-
For the past ~5 years, easily 90% of Warcraft III sales have been purely for DotA. There are way more people who play DotA than regular Wc3, and there is a much larger casual and competitive following (and has been for a long time).

Yeah HON and LOL are both DotA, so it would make since to have DotA 2.
They are not exactly the same. LoL, created by Riot Games, is very different. Sure, the map looks the same, but the gameplay is nothing alike. They can be thrown into the same genre, but it's really like comparing Halo to Call of Duty. HoN was originally meant to be a DotA clone, but they have modified the content enough that it is not the same game anymore (though it is the most similar to DotA of them all, other than DotA2).

Someone really needs to add a glossary to this thread.
I can answer any questions you have.

Yea, seriously, I just can't understand why people like dota so much, it was a cheesy map that had an oddball following :-\

There was more complexe maps that actually had story and save/load codes unlike the earlier, and most likely current dotas :-\

The funny part is, I guess they can not say Defense of the Ancients in the DOTA2 game.
That "oddball" following is larger than any other game mod of all time. It has been estimated that the number of current DotA players worldwide is in the 6-7 million range, including China (which accounts for ~2-3 million of that estimate, but is harder to measure due to their use of LAN centers and pirated copies of Wc3).

Dota technically screwed up wc3 at one point due to that map pushing the editor and game to the point Blizzard updated the editor and map standards, and fixed a few loop holes.

But, blizzard states in the EULA that they owned the rights to ANY map, created using there software or played on there system, there was never a gray area for who owned the copy right, blizzard did, not icefrog, read the EULA :p

Not, wheather or not Blizzard sold the map off to another company that icefrog went to, I don't know, as I can't find jack **** on that.

"technically screwed up" ... uh, doesn't sound like a problem to me. DotA's development got so complex that it helped Blizzard find their errors.

And yes, there is a gray area. Blizzard's ridiculously long EULA says a lot of things. That doesn't mean that if something were taken to court, Blizzard would win automatically. At one point, Blizzard could have definitely taken it to court, and had a good chance of winning, but now it's simply way too late and it would be a guaranteed waste of time for them.

Blizzard did not sell DotA. The reason you can't find anything about that is because it didn't happen. They have decided to be reasonable and treat it as the intellectual property of both the past creators and IceFrog, as well as the community.

While at the same time they are also going for anyone that happens to make "hacks" for any of there games.

Also, the very first thing you see when you start the editor, is that blizzard owns the copywrite to anything you create in that editor, there are no ifs, ans, or buts about it, unless there is something in the contract that gives the possibility of the person who created the permission to re-create the map for another platform/developer. But, if anything, you would notice, they have become very... Controlling of the custom map community, they even pull down maps that mimic there other games. I know someone that made a Ghost FPS for SC2 in the editor, blizzard pulled it due to several things, including copywrite infringement of a blizzard product, which I found funny.

But, this new is "fresh" so it is still possible blizzard/battle.net is looking to see what they can do to stop this. Also, DOTA never exposed flaws, it was someone that found a loophole in the code that permitted the execution of something else, dota, just forces blizzard to up the map size limits every once in awhile, among adding other things that in the end, break every other single map. Try finding a map made 3 years ago that still works today because of the crap they have had to change so dota would work. -.-

To be honest, my favourite game of all time. I don't have the time to be a serious gamer, I love it for the strategy/simplicity and LAN fun factor. I played all the WC's 1-3 and never really got in to the online thing. Same with dota, but I have a small weekly clan of guys who get together to play with each other or against bots. We've been playing it for years and no other game has touched it except recently we've played a lot of borderlands while we try and figure out which "new" dota road to take. A bunch of guys like the free askpect of Lol while the other half of the pary like HofN for staying so true to the original.

Try finding a map made 3 years ago that still works today because of the crap they have had to change so dota would work. -.-

100% worth it for Blizzard. DotA kept Warcraft 3 alive way longer than it would have. Even waiting for dozens, if not hundreds of map makers to create their own versions of DotA on SC2 is worth the hype for Blizzard.

Also, although a lot of custom maps were broken by patches, the majority (read: 99%) still work fine. My map folder goes back to 2004 and I still pull out a classic once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom