disk partition ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so, i am not sure how or why i have a 450mb partition labeled Recovery (i did not do it), but that is way to small to put a copy of windows onto let alone a copy with all of the updates. which is what i would like to do. i watched a couple of videos on YouTube on how to create a partition, followed them, and made a partition. so i tried to open up the recovery, but all that happens when i right click on it is it wants to open a help dialog (which does not tell me how to open or shrink, or get id of it). there is also another tiny (99mb) partition that says it is an EFI system partition. which i am thinking may be mislabeled UEFI? that, or my computer is powered by a fuel injected internal combustion engine. and last time i checked, there was no fuel tank or exhaust in my computer. i think the problem is that neither of these partitions are labeled with a letter. i can not figure out what to do with either of them. if i could, i would just delete them, and make new ones (if i even need to make a copy of the UEFI?) i could let them stay there, and ignore them, EXCEPT THAT KIND OF THING REALLY BUGS ME!

I wouldn't recommend deleting random system partitions...

I don't think you even have the option to assign system partitions a drive letter... (correct me if i'm wrong, not 100% positive) .

I'd say try a 3rd party partition manager, but you might end up breaking something... (I personally never bothered tampering with Recovery and EFI, best to leave it alone)

I wouldn't recommend deleting random system partitions...
there is nothing in them, they are blank.

I don't think you even have the option to assign system partitions a drive letter... (correct me if i'm wrong, not 100% positive) .
yep, you can assign almost any letter to it, or them, other than what is being used.

I'd say try a 3rd party partition manager, but you might end up breaking something... (I personally never bothered tampering with Recovery and EFI, best to leave it alone)
AWE!? where is the fun in that? besides, if you never try things, you never learn anything. i know, that is exactly what i did for years. and i was completely helpless whenever anything went wrong. i had no choice to ask around at work, and what usually happened was i would have to drive to the local computer repair guy for a 30 second fix. i am tired of being helpless. i do not need to be an IT professional, but i want to be able to take care of my own stuff most of the time.

The 99MB partition is used by Windows, you can see more info here: What is the System Reserved Partition and Can You Delete It?

The Recovery partition is...a little strange. Usually that'd be for (as the name suggests) hosting all the info that you'd need to completely restore your PC to factory defaults. But if it's just 450MB then I'm not sure exactly what it's for...I think you'd be safe to remove that one and create your own partition if you'd like.
What machine are you using? There's sometimes a built in or downloadable "create recovery" thing that'll help set it up for you

I have a 500MB System Partition on my Win10 install.

What are the partition properties marked as? if it's marked as a system partition..definitely don't delete it.

Back
Top Bottom