Developing a security strategy for my PCs, looking for advice

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with some better protection for my devices (mainly one laptop and one gaming desktop). I just cleaned out a Trojan and am reformatting my system now. Of course, careful browsing habits are the key, but I'm trying to come up with a strategy beyond just relying on Microsoft Security Essentials and sometimes Malwarebytes Free when there's a problem. So I'm trying to come up with a new strategy and just wanted any advice or feedback that the community may offer.

So far, my setup includes:

1.) Mozilla Firefox browser running NoScript, Adblock Plus, Web of Trust, and Disconnect

2.) Running all browsers (mainly Firefox) in SandboxIE

3.) Microsoft Security Essentials

4.) Malwarebytes Free

5.) Backups and a clean system image

I've been checking out AV-compartivies and debating switching out MSE for another anti-virus program. Would love to get thoughts on that. And any general advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

As always, thank you!!

Hi! My advise would be to develop a regular habit of creating a back up image with a image program like Macrium Reflect. There are a lot of free programs that will do the job.
MBAM free is good for removing malware, but the paid version will keep it from installing on your PC in the first place.
It seems like you have a decent plan. Yes being a safe suffer is the best advise.
I'm sure you will get a lot of advise on the best security software.
I use MSE and MBAM pro. I always have a malware free image of my OS on a external HD.
Gary!
PS have you heard about unchecky to help with the PUP's
http://unchecky.com/
I also run this App. on my rig!!https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Last edited:
Hi! My advise would be to develop a regular habit of creating a back up image with a image program like Macrium Reflect. There are a lot of free programs that will do the job.
MBAM free is good for removing malware, but the paid version will keep it from installing on your PC in the first place.
It seems like you have a decent plan. Yes being a safe suffer is the best advise.
I'm sure you will get a lot of advise on the best security software.
I use MSE and MBAM pro. I always have a malware free image of my OS on a external HD.
Gary!
PS have you heard about unchecky to help with the PUP's
Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear
I also run this App. on my rig!!https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Thanks Gary! I was going to make a second post asking about Malwarebytes Pro and/or Malwarebytes Antiexploit. Glad to hear you're having success with them, I was considering those options too.

Hi! you are very welcome. I have heard that Anti-Exploit has some bugs, but I haven't found any. Try unchecky! I'm very fortunate as I have the grand father life time addition of MBAM.
That's not available any more, but IMHO it's worth the yearly price. Nothing really scares me knowing I always have a malware free image of my OS on a external USB. I have used Macrium more times then you would believe to get my PC back in shape. Running a PC without a back up image just isn't in my plans and I hate restoring to factory every time to get me back up and running.
Gary!!
Have you ever felt, while installing software, that the installer tries to push additional unwanted programs at all cost? Ever missed a checkbox, and spent hours afterwards removing adware? Ever opened your browser after an installation, only to find out that you have a new homepage, a new search engine, or even a new browser?
Unchecky aims to keep potentially unwanted programs out of your computer.

Ditch MSE and replace it with something like Avira or Avast.

Since you already know about AV-Comparatives, you'll see that MSE isn't good anymore - and even MS says they've pretty much abandoned it and don't really recommend it anymore.

Other than that, the other things you do are fine - it mostly boils down to just using common sense.

Back
Top Bottom