Degree or Certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
I am sure I have probably put this in the wrong forum, so Mods please point me in the right direction:p

What I would like to know is what is, I am planning on going to college to study computer programming, VB and C++ for now I suppose..... I would also like to take some courses in and see if I like Computer Assisted Design and Web Design.

What is the difference between a certification and degree and which one should I get? Some friend of mine has been asking me repeatedly and I keep telling them I don't know yet I haven't looked into that stuff yet, so I will skip the research and ask you guys right now point blank:p

Thanks much;) :)

Hi.
I recentally graduated from a tech college in Wisconsin.
We had a recrutier from a large computer corperation visit us for a few hours.
He said, remember..HE said this, not me
that when an application comes to him, and they have an A+ cert, he said all that shows him is that someone can read a book and pass a test.
He said that he, as well as many other recruters want to see a degreed person, because a degree shows them that there was hands on learning.
Also, it all depends on who you talk to...some LOVE the A+, some want a degree and A+...such confusion.

Good luck...
TheeOx

IMO.... the recruiter has some BIG flaws in his thinking.

He totally discounted:
a) the personality or the person completely
b) the person's experience

I see where the recruiter was coming from, but if a company was hiring based on that logic... I would not want to work for that company!!!!

Merlin, there are many other post in these 2 computer - technology schools "forums" on tech-forums.
they cover very similar questions/discusions your looking for...

good luck

degree is expensive, certification is cheaper :) a simple answer.

a certification is more preciously tailored for 1 specific requirement, as if you are doing certification in solution development, in practical sense, you might be able to develop more rapidly than a person having a degree in development, but at the same time where other things concerned, like documentation, and access to other areas in related field, there comes a stoppage to certification holders.

certification makes more sense as if you are already in some job, and you want a quick boost, one goes for certification. else in degree, you'llalways find urself at the beginning of new thing at the end of the degree :), as if I've to give my own example, I did my MBA degree majors in IT thinking that it'll be the end, OK, so far so good, my interests grew in e-Business, Ahh! excellant, for a tailored made education, I went for MSc E-Business degree, farewell, now what? and still i find myself at the beginning of learning new things, Dammit! and now I'm thinking of doing my 3rd Masters degree in in in in in...see here I got confused, as studying eBusiness has opened many many more things t learn before me, what should I do? MS In IT security? MS in Illustrations, MS in E-Commerce, or some specialization in Supply Chain Mgmt?

anyway, a simple answer is that, in degree, you are given a theoritical approach, and you've to find a way yourself, and in certification, you are given practical approach, every thing in front of you. you end up with thorough knowledge.

that recruiter telling you that thing is to some extent wrong to say. as now no body will ask you what degree you've got. every body will ask, DO YOU KNOW THIS?

Either way any kind of education is beneficial. I would suggest going the degree route only because you will gain some hands on
experience and good resources for research in the present and future.

Why not both. While you are attending school study for and take A+ You'll be a step ahead of the average techy fresh out of college. IMO an Associates degree does just fine when looking for a job. I only have AAS and A+ and I'm doing fine. If I wanted to take my career to the next level I have a great foundation already. I would just need to brush up on some lost skills and study, maybe take a couple side classes, and BAM im ready to move on.

Good luck with your choices.

hm I think both is good as well, But I say start off with the degree first, and the cert adds a nice touch, but it can wait 'til later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom