Could it actually happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gab00n said:
Haha i hope it was for your neighbour, lol just kidding. I'm waiting for 15mbps internet, i currently have DSL.

So I guess you are talking about Verizon FIOS? I have been on FIOS forums and those people put down cable/DSL just like you cable/DSL people put down dial-up. Right now, I dont drool over FIOS, I drool over the regular broadband cable access that most of you take for granted.

Its hard to believe that the digital divide is so extensive in this day and age. I am connected at 12.3kbps right now. Here you are talking about 15mbps!

I know my dial-up days are likely almost over, but there are others that live not far from where I do that are still and dial-up and will be for quite some time. Something needs to be done about the lack of broadband in rural areas.

P.S. Why is Verizon giving FIOS to areas that already have cable/DSL access when there are still 13 million rural Americans unreached by broadband?

beedubaya said:
P.S. Why is Verizon giving FIOS to areas that already have cable/DSL access when there are still 13 million rural Americans unreached by broadband?
Most likely because the already have the fiber in those neighborhoods (except for the last connection from the street to the house).

Verizon FIOS is choosing rich neighborhoods first because it costs like $1000 per house or something to install all this new stuff. There is no sense to do it elsewhere, they are just looking out for their future. It is getting close to me, they have it in huntington beach already and that is close by so they should be near laguna beach. I saw them putting up new cables the otherday so that is probably a good sign.

congrats ;) About time, eh? Happened once to me. Brand new neighborhood and supposedly several years (due to being pretty far out) before it came. Anyhow, 3 months later and they were sending digital cable flyers out.

There has been yet more holdup...so its still going to be a while before I get cable if it happens. One question...this may sound stupid but its something I'm worried about. Being as they have run the lines out here, there is no chance of them deciding not to service this area, is there?

Well there is always a possibility but then they would have wasted a lot of money so the chance is very small that they will change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom