Corrupt and overwritten XP files

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekFriends

Beta member
I am a senior citizen who did not "grow up" on computers. Please help. My kid who lives out of state visited, built me a computer. After using the computer for a while, I have corrupt and overwritten files and don't know what I did wrong. I have the XP disks which warn that I may lose info if I use them to repair. The XP was an upgrade from 2000. I also have a another smaller hard drive with 2000 on it.

1. Does that warning about losing information mean I may lose the update downloads from the Windows site that were installed after the XP was installed?

If so, that's no big deal as long as I can still reinstall them from the Microsoft download site.

2. Are those files still available on the Microsoft download site?

I have and need Service Pack 3 for my DVD to work and the only link I can locate on the Microsoft site is the IT version. I just went in circles.

3. Does anyone have the site address for XP Service Pack 3?

Thanks in advance.:confused:
GeekFriends, my user name is an in-joke.

I am a senior citizen who did not "grow up" on computers. Please help. My kid who lives out of state visited, built me a computer. After using the computer for a while, I have corrupt and overwritten files and don't know what I did wrong. I have the XP disks which warn that I may lose info if I use them to repair. The XP was an upgrade from 2000. I also have a another smaller hard drive with 2000 on it.

1. Does that warning about losing information mean I may lose the update downloads from the Windows site that were installed after the XP was installed?

If so, that's no big deal as long as I can still reinstall them from the Microsoft download site.

2. Are those files still available on the Microsoft download site?

I have and need Service Pack 3 for my DVD to work and the only link I can locate on the Microsoft site is the IT version. I just went in circles.

3. Does anyone have the site address for XP Service Pack 3?

Thanks in advance.:confused:
GeekFriends, my user name is an in-joke.

download the IT one and slipstream you xp disc with nlite. it shows you how in this video.
then do a fresh install. it will fix corrupt files

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-make-mce-sp3-disc-186995/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom