Cordless phone and WiFi frequency intereference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I have a network in my house, a wireless one, 802.11b+ (D-Link's own standard, 22 mbps.) and I have some cordless phones in my house, a new one which is 2.4 GHz. I was just wondering if this was going to interfere with my network, my data tansfer and all that good stuff. If it will, is ther something I can do to keep that from happening. I have WEP enabled, 64 bit, incase that does something.

It may....
You can try a few things though. If you start to notice interference, try changing channels on the wireless card and access point. Also, since most newer wireless phones use probing when activated, you can try placing the Access Point and the cordless base station in totally different areas of your house/office.

-Mike

yea.. what mikesgroovin said.. also cordless phones have channels also, so mess with channels on both.. couldnt hurt :)

I was just wondering, not noticing anything yet, but I was just checking for future reference. And so I know what to say when someone asks me.

Luckily my microwave is nowhere near where my connection is or goes through. Good thing.

The biggest problem tends to proximity, normally I just keep them the bases separate and do not have a problem. If I do run into a problem I tend to be able to get rid of it by moving up above 8.

i read an article online (sorry but i cant remember the site) that showed how much a cordless phone affected a wi-fi router. it wasnt much. it killed about 20% or something like that. unless your network is real critical, it shouldnt be an issue. ive got a 2.4 ghz A/V sender sitting right beside my router, and there is no difference. i did set them on channel 1 and 11 though, so thats probably what solved my problem. set your router to work on channel 11 and your phone on one and you should be fine. channels 1, 6 and 11 dont overlap with each other much in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom