Connecting single input speaker system to dual audio output computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

scmay29

Beta member
My Dell Dimenson computer has a left-right audio output while my Altec ATP3 Subwoofer has a single input which is then split left-right and sent to the 2 satellites. Right now I am just using the left output on the computer but would like to know if there's a way to merge the computers dual output into a single output so I can get both left and right audio to my subwoofer on a single wire. Thanks

What kind of connectors are on the computer and the Subwoofer? You probably just need a patch cable. Check at RadioShack - they should have what you need.

The computer and the subwoofer both receive a male 3.5mm plug, if that makes sense.

The signal should still be in stereo (the sub will just take the lower ranges) if its a 2:1 system, when it gets to the small speakers.
The usual problem is one of the jackplugs not seating correctly (killing one side of the stereo signal). Try ssslllooowwwllllyy moving the jackplugs in and out (and up and down) and listen for the other speaker coming live. Note sometimes its less than 0.1mm to go from signal to no signal (thats just a few thou).

Ensure you have the balance set correctly (from whatever app and Windows Audio Devices) before playing with the jackplugs.

Sorry if my original post wasn't really clear. The speaker wire runs from the left audio output in the back of the computer. The other end connects to the subwoofer. Then two wires exit the subwoofer to the 2 speakers. So the audio originating from the left output of the computer is being split within the subwoofer box and sent to the 2 speakers. I want to be able to use audio from both the left and the right audio outputs on the computer rather than just the left. I'm assuming that I am not getting the full range of sound in just using the left output, am I wrong?

I'm assuming that I am not getting the full range of sound in just using the left output, am I wrong?
That is true, but I don't know of any sound setup (except high-end professional setup) that uses separate left and right outputs. Usually, there is a front and rear speaker output, and another center/subwoofer shared output on dolby 5.1 cards. Are you sure the outputs are left/right. If that is the case, you can still go to RadioShack, or another electronics store, and buy a cable with two male 3.5mm plugs on one end and a single 3.5mm plug on the other. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom