Confused, after highschool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
My senior year of high-school is coming up, and I'm still kind of confused on what I want to do in life. To tell you the truth, I really don't want to go to a big university like my sister is, she's really smart and is going to be a pediatrician(sp?). I'm pretty smart too, usually straight A's with the occasional B, and really love technology stuff. I really want to go to a school where I can just learn what I need to know, instead of taking more English classes, and pointless Calculus classes, btw Trig was worthless and a waste of time. I could probably enjoy anything with computers, fixing them, building them, or probably networking stuff. I love networking, I set one up in my house, and love playing with it, and fixing it for that matter, occasionally lose connection on the wireless. I have two computers along with the wireless computer set up on a router. I also just finished building my first computer which was pretty fun, and I've also upgraded ram etc. in my other computers. I'm taking some computer classes at my highschool where you do online courses, and I've tried some of the programming ones, and don't think that would satisfy me, a lot to remember and kind of stressful. I think I would be good working with people, and fixing things, keeps me motivated and gives me some variation. As for pay, I could probably settle for 50k-70k, I don't know if that is a lot to ask for or not in this type of field. I know my dad makes 65k for inspecting paintjobs on new cars, and he didn't even go to college. As for the school, hopefully a technical school in or around the Kansas City Area, hopefully in Kansas. Anyone have any recommendations as to a school, or a field I might want to look into pursuing? Thanks to anyone who read this, and thank you for your help.

Well I don't know of any good tech schools in the Kansas area but it definetly sounds like that would be a good route for you. At tech school you won't take all those useless courses like English etc. I'm going to BCIT in the fall to do networking. Should be awesome.

count yourself lucky that you have a direction. It seems like a lot of poeple in that general age group have NO idea about what direction to go in life.
Best of luck to you and your future.

:cool:

Believe me when I say that during school I had absolutely no career plans. I was one of the bad kids (I am still a kid, 19), getting drunk etc.

You should follow the subject you love, I know a lot about Network Engineering because that was one of my choices when I left school - don't settle for anything less than CISCO certificates, a lot of courses are based around Microsoft and are useless. Large networks use Linux or other unheard of programs.

CISCO Certified Engineers have a wage from 50k - 150k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom