Computer turns on, Monitor won't..diagnostic beeps?

CatTeeth

Beta member
Let me preface this by saying when it comes to the guts of a computer I'm a complete novice.

I have a custom computer- I simply made a list of what I wanted my computer to do, gave it to a friend who helped me order the parts and then a third friend put it together. This was about three years ago, it has always worked like a dream.

I moved a few months ago and haven't had the PC on. This past week I set it up with an old monitor because I didn't want to dig mine out of storage. Initially it worked fine for a day or two. Then it started acting weird (not turning on, giving me 'power save' messages and returning to black.)

Fine. I get my monitor, hook it up and it works great for two days.

Last night and this morning I noticed the computer kept locking up while working in photoshop. I had to restart it each time CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldnt work. It was like the computer worked but the monitor had simply locked up.

It locked up on me maybe two hours ago when nothing was running (program wise). I had plugged in a flash drive, turned around and when I turned back it was locked up.

Shut it down.
Turned it back on.
The little beep when the monitor first starts up beeped and then held, never ceasing. Just a long constant beep that never stopped and displayed only the green screen that advertises the brand of graphics card or motherboard or something like that in the computer.

I shut it off, gave it a little more time than usual and turned it back on.
It did the same thing.

Shut it off for a third time. Waited even longer.

Computer turned on, gave me the "computer shut down imporperly message- hit enter to continue" clicked on through and it went black.

Now my tower will go through the motions of being on (lighting up, fan running etc) but the monitor sits black. Unresponsive to the tower. I imagine it's something wrong with the tower and not the monitor itself, right?

With the old monitor (DELL) it only required what I believe are VGA cables. The new one requires the VGA and another similar cable that is white with 246L on it. Like I said, totally kind of a novice about this and don't know the proper name for it.

Before joining I searched and found a few similar posts but where people didn't have the problem on several monitors or didn't quite totally fit.

My OS is Windows 7 and I wish I could give you more information about what brands of hard ware I have in the computer, but I don't have access to that information (either from the computer itself, hence the post- or access to the receipt at this moment.)

Sorry if this is a little long winded! I wanted to try and describe everything as accurately as possible in the order in which things happened. Thank you so much in advance for anyone willing to read and then read & offer advice.

Let me preface this by saying when it comes to the guts of a computer I'm a complete novice.

I have a custom computer- I simply made a list of what I wanted my computer to do, gave it to a friend who helped me order the parts and then a third friend put it together. This was about three years ago, it has always worked like a dream.

I moved a few months ago and haven't had the PC on. This past week I set it up with an old monitor because I didn't want to dig mine out of storage. Initially it worked fine for a day or two. Then it started acting weird (not turning on, giving me 'power save' messages and returning to black.)

Fine. I get my monitor, hook it up and it works great for two days.

Last night and this morning I noticed the computer kept locking up while working in photoshop. I had to restart it each time CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldnt work. It was like the computer worked but the monitor had simply locked up.

It locked up on me maybe two hours ago when nothing was running (program wise). I had plugged in a flash drive, turned around and when I turned back it was locked up.

Remove the video card, and see if your computer will start up normally.
If not and the computer continues to beep, shut it down and remove the ram.
If your mother beeps at you indicating no ram its fine and your cpu maybe at fault.
If nothing beeps and just comes on with no lights from the keyboard or monitor the mobo maybe hace died.

You can still get us the info we need, look on the motherboard and look for a serial number near parallel port and usb.
Read and copy it and bring it back, same goes for the video card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom