Computer Freezes - Could it be caused by a Cat5 Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peoples-2

Beta member
Let me start off by saying I do not have all of the information, I am simply curious and trying to help a family member in his office at the same time.

To begin, this office probably has around 15 to 20 computers total. All of these computers are connected to a hub in the server room via Cat5 cable. The computers are spread about the office. The Cat5 runs from the Hub to the Ethernet jack, where it then connects to the phone, and then to the computer. All but one of the computers function properly.

One computer has been having issues, specifically, freezing. It just stops completely and freezes. The employee cannot pinpoint what is causing the freezing - it happens while doing different things every time. It does not constantly freeze, but enough to be a pain in the ***. Only rebooting will snap the computer out of the freeze.

The IT department has been trying for the past several months to remotely fix the issue. They have reinstalled Windows XP multiple times, etc., but, alas, they could not stop the freezing. So said employee recently received a new computer, fresh from the factory. Guess what? It still freezes periodically.

The Ethernet cable from the jack to the computer has been replaced. It still freezes. Is it possible that the Cat5 running through the walls is causing this issue?

Questions? (Probably lost because I don't know all of the details, sorry)

I'm curious to hear what some networking gurus can brainstorm on this one. It's odd because the issue persists on two separate computers, both of which are basically brand new.

Thanks!

I would run the computer on another cable to see if the problem persists. You could also try another plug on the network switch as well.

Process of elimination. If it works fine on another line it has to be the line.

A bit strange but if it is the only changed variable in the equation it has to be the problem.

That's what they are going to do next. Plug in a new Cat5 directly into the switch. Already tried changing the port to no avail.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any input. I find it odd a defective Cat5 can cause a computer to freeze. Thanks for your input.

I cannot imagine why a network cable would make a computer freeze. Another potential variable is software installed on the system, or even user error. Assuming it is the same person using the computer, they probably reinstalled whatever software they were using after reinstalling windows xp. Also probably put the same software on the new computer. The only other problem I could imagine is a hardware issue though this would have been ruled out from the new computer.

its a long shot, but it could be from dirty power, ive seen similer problems related to dirty power... try use a diffrent power outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom