Compatibility issue I think between Oracle and IE8

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Oldie but a goodie
I have had no problems with running Oracle in class, (it's the Database Express Edition) except for just with logic errors in my syntax, which obviously will come to me better as I learn more. The problem I am having at home is trying to run commands using Oracle in IE8. I know in class some people used Firefox successfully after using an add-on to Firefox or something to that effect. Does anyone know of an alternative such as Firefox and Oracle

The problem is I can use IE8 and Oracle in class and I have no problems, but with IE8 on my home computer, I can't enter commands without Oracle locking up - and by that I mean after running a command, such as to create or update a table, the lower pane in Oracles says "SQL Statement Running" and then nothing. It just locks up, and I get a white screen.

I just wonder what I can do different. As I said, in class I can run everything ok, my only problems have been logic errors. Here it seems to be a compatibility issue. Any ideas I can try ?

EDIT: Well for now, I can do everything I need from the SQL Plus command line. I am still having the issues above from the GUI. Strange to me though, because in class I have no problem with creating scripts, running them, using SQL commands, etc. Just at home on my GUI. But at least I can run what I need until I get the GUI situation resolved by using SQL Plus.

If you are having no problems from the command line then it makes sense to be something wrong with IE8 setup. I haven't used oracle but if I were you I would take a screenprint of the settings at school and configure your install at home in the same way.

You know, kmote, that's a ****uva idea :D I asked my instructor about it, and he said "What browser are you running at home?" I said "IE8", he said "how much RAM does the home computer have ?" I said "1GB". He said, "there's your problem," meaning, not enough RAM. He also recommended I use Firefox and get the IE8 Tabs add-on (for Firefox).

Only the scripts. Commands from the command view, nope. It hangs there saying "SQL statement running". But I found a workaround for home. I use the Oracle SQLPLus command line program that is bundled with the GUI and do it from there. At school, I can run Oracle just fine.

^ I would have edited that post to put this here, but it was past the editable stage ... anyways..

Update on this situation, I am running Oracle on Firefox (the latest) without any problems. Somehow IE8 kind of sputters a bit, it will work intermittently with Oracle. But when I run Firefox with it all is good. May be an IE8 thang... Just wanted to let anyone interested in knowing what my resolution to this was to possibly help others who may want to try SQL using Oracle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom