Combine Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and other *buntu flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yjcarl87

Beta member
Hi everyone. I must start off by saying that the Linux community has been a godsend to me. I chose to use Kubuntu about two years ago and haven't looked back. After trying openSUSE, Fedora, Debian, ArchLinux, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Sabayon, and various other distributions, I decided to stick with Kubuntu. There are three main reasons behind this (all of which are personal): The Debian package management is easy and stable, The K Desktop Environment is a work of art, and the Ubuntu community is very helpful. Because of my love for the operating system, I have recently devoted much of my time to helping its progression, and promotion.

As its own "flavour" of Ubuntu, Kubuntu seems to be getting the short end of the stick. Just the same, Xubuntu has been set on the back burner. Operating systems as versatile, user-friendly, and stable as Kubuntu and Xubuntu are should not be put in the ranks as mere "side projects."

On the same level, new users attracted to Ubuntu should be given the choice, rather than only shown a single desktop. Have you seen the Ubuntu homepage lately? See how long it takes for you to figure out that Kubuntu and Xubuntu even exist! They are almost hidden! This is not acceptable, and offensive to the Kubuntu and Xubuntu development branches alike. After all, choice is what one of the major reasons the open source community exists.

My request is simple. Show the team at Canonical how we feel about the decision to separate Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. Allow new users the option from the start, and promote KDE and XFCE, rather than focusing solely on GNOME.

Interested? Sign this petition! Every signature helps!

Combine Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu into one Petition

If you have input, shoot. I love criticism. But please, nothing offensive.

I don't think they should combine them, each one is different for a reason.

Hello,

I don't think they should combine them, each one is different for a reason.

I have to agree with Nick. It's why each distribution has it's own website: ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu.

However, I do agree with an issue that you've raised, and that is that there is a lack of promotion of all ubuntu-based distros; for example, an official webpage by canonical which clearly lists and describes the official and contributed ubuntu-based distributions available to users. While there is a Canonical Projects page, it only lists ubuntu, kubuntu and edubuntu, and this list isn't very clear either. To add, the majority of prospective and current ubuntu distro users probably aren't even aware of 'canonical' and it's website, but are familiar with the term 'ubuntu' and it's website. There could be better marketing. At present, the List of Ubuntu-based distributions Wikipedia article is probably the only best list.

On a slightly different note, after installing ubuntu, it's possible to install and use the KDE environment (effectively converting ubuntu to kubuntu), and visa-versa.

I think they should stay seperate as well, but I don't blame a guy for speaking his mind and trying. I personally agree with Alvin C. I found it confusing even after reading about Ubuntu initially, like, "What the he!! is Kubuntu!" :p I know now, but on first visiting the home site, I felt it could explain the differences a little better. Maybe they did, and I just missed seeing it.

They are separate for a reason. Ubuntu chooses GNOME because the Ubuntu developers think it is the easiest to use. They focus on it because the whole Ubuntu experience is based around GNOME, the plugins and apps that they add to it, and the theme they use on it. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc are just there for those who choose to use a different window manager. Ubuntu keeps those options open for users who want to take the next step. Besides, if you wanted to use KDE apps in GNOME, they're all in the repositories. If you get tired of GNOME, just do "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" or "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" from a root shell, log out, and log in to the other environment. They're all available and just clicks (or commands, if you prefer) away. Maybe they should put icons on the stock Ubuntu desktop like "Try KDE" or "Try XFCE" that let users look at overviews of other window managers and install them automatically if the user wants to, but I like how it is now.

Besides, if you wanted to use KDE apps in GNOME, they're all in the repositories. If you get tired of GNOME, just do "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" or "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" from a root shell, log out, and log in to the other environment. They're all available and just clicks (or commands, if you prefer) away.

So all that would happen by trying either of those commands is I enter a KDE shell (case of Kubuntu) or an XCSE shell (case of Xubuntu). I could return like Dorothy from the Land of Oz how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom