CNSS certificate (4011)

CoffeeConnoisseur

Solid State Member
I'm an Information Technology major. I'm due to graduate in December. My school emailed me and told me that I can get a CNSS certificate (4011) for completing a security course and two networking courses. The certificate sounds good but I don't know if it's worth it. I would have to stay in school until March instead of graduating in December to complete another course (an introduction to technology course) to get the certificate.

So the question is, how valuable is this? Does it even make me look any better to have this? I really wanna just graduate in December but if this certificate means a lot I will wait another term to get it.

Thoughts?

Not sure if it's worth it. Looking at the material it looks like it's just a letter stating you've completed the course - it's not actually a certification. You don't have to pass any test or certification to receive this. Just complete the course work.

I have a few of these from Microsoft saying that i've completed a course for a certain certification - but it's not the certification itself. Just a piece of paper literally saying you've completed course work for this certification (it's not the certification).

In my experience people usually don't put these type of things on their resume because it proves nothing. Anyone can go through coursework, doesn't mean you learned or applied the knowledge which is why these are a dime a dozen. What matters is the certification themselves.

CNSS 4011 Recognition - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Thanks for clearing that up for me... Now I know not to wait. I didn't think it sounded like much of a big deal especially with the classes that I took to get it (3). I figured this was just some fluff. Yeah working on a real cert will be more worth my time.

Thanks.

:)

Just to clarify, i'm not saying that you wouldn't learn anything or that the information provided in the class wouldn't be good - because i'm sure it is.

But from a potential employers standpoint, TONS AND TONS of people have pieces of paper that says you attended a class, what employers want is a certification. Just like college, i'm sure you've heard the "ya i'm 9 credit hours from graduating I just didn't finish" speech. Unless you have that degree the 125 hours leading up to that is worthless to other people until you finish it and have a piece of paper. Not to say 125 hours is worthless to you, you learn a lot but to potential employers they don't care.

Gotcha, I understand what you mean. What I meant when I said it's fluff is that it doesn't make my degree look any better by waiting and getting this.

Back
Top Bottom