Can't Hook up to New Router. HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobias Industries

Beta member
I am having some big problems trying to get a new router hooked up. There already is one hooked up (Linksys) that is working great. However, it is my roommates' and he is moving out, thus taking the router with him. So I only need a router for a month until our lease is up and I can move out. I got one that was not too expensive at best buy ($40 Dynex- Enhanced G Router). I am using an HP laptop with Vista 64-bit. But whenever I try to install this router to use it I have big problems. I have worked on it for hours and tried numerous different things and need help from people that know much more than I do.

Im installing the router by putting in the Setup CD, hook up the router to the wall (do not need modem with my provider), and the laptop to the router. I run all the setup stuff, it all works fine until it comes to the testing internet connection. It cannot get a singal for the internet. I have only Local access, not local and internet. Through both the wired and wireless lines. I click to diagnose and repair the problem and Vista tells me, "There may be a problem with the Domain Name Server configuration" and something about pinging microsoft.com and it will not allow me to connect to the internet becuase of this. It tells me the problem is unsolvable. I have no idea what all this DNS is (thats as far as my knowledge of all this goes) and I need help. I cannot be without internet this month.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to get around this "problem with DNS configuration" prompt that will help me finish installing the router, I would greatly appreciate it. And if there is more information that you need in order to help diagnose the problem I will do my best to provide it for you. Thanks so much!

are you by any chances using static ip? :p

try getting updated software from dynex support site if there is any
quite often stuff on setup cd is out dated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom