Can't get Knights of the Old Republic to work on Windows 7

Rigas

Beta member
Greetings everyone. I'll to post as many details possible regarding my problem.

I first got Knights of the Old Republic in February 2014. Back then, I still had Windows XP. The game installed and worked perfectly, no issues.

In April 2014, I changed my OS to Windows 7. I used the same disks to install Knights of the Old Republic. The game would launch normally, but always crash 2-4 minutes after starting a new game.

Looking for solutions, I stumbled upon many suggestions. One of them said that the game can't normally work properly in Windows 7, and provided different versions of the Mss32.dll and swkotor.exe files, the usage of which was supposed to fix the problem. Tried it, didn't work.

Next, I stumbled upon this thread: KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report - LucasForums . It listed a many reasons why the game would not run properly in Windows 7, but #8 caught my attention: "Those with multi-core CPUs (which is just about everyone these days) need to set CPU affinity to a single core. Not doing so will cause the game to randomly crash." This seemed like a perfect fit for the problem I was experiencing, so I tried it. First I tried setting the affinity manually every game the game launched through Task Manager, but it would not allow me, saying something along the lines of "access not allowed", even though I have full administrator rights. So, I created a Shortcut with the following as the destination:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "SWKOTOR" /D "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR" /high /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\swkotor.exe"

In theory, this would set the CPU affinity to a single core, allowing me to play the game normally. And it worked. I played the game like this for about 2 hours, no trouble at all. But, when I attempted to play the game again about a month later, using the exact same shortcut, it would not work, and would crash randomly as before. Note that I did not tamper with the game files in any way during this month, so I'm confused as to why the shortcut stopped working.

So, that's all the info I've got. Any ideas?

~ Rigas

Greetings everyone. I'll to post as many details possible regarding my problem.

I first got Knights of the Old Republic in February 2014. Back then, I still had Windows XP. The game installed and worked perfectly, no issues.

In April 2014, I changed my OS to Windows 7. I used the same disks to install Knights of the Old Republic. The game would launch normally, but always crash 2-4 minutes after starting a new game.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

When you had window xp was your hardware the same it is before you went on to 7 ?
If so is your computer the same as well ?
Since you have the game installed, right click on the game.exe choose compatibility mode.
Choose windows xp sp2 first and choose run as the administrator.
Hit apply and hit ok, now run the game and if it will boot all the way to start up game screen.

If it crashes change the compability mode to windows xp sp3.
Also since you have windows 7 do you have sp1 installed or not ?
Lastly could you give us your specs so we can know what we're working with ?
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting use it and hit print screen button to screenshot.
Open mspaint and save it as .png format and bring it back here or upload with photobucket.com.

Compatibility mode is going to be your best friend. But still expect some issues from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom