Can't edit properties of mp3 files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewa124

Baseband Member
I am trying to edit the properties on some mp3 files I have, but they keep showing up as read only. If I remove the read only, it comes back. And I can't edit Artist names of Genres of anything. Can someone please help.

Hello,

Windows is not the best option to do this with. Are you trying to do it thru Windows Media Player? That might be the only way you can get it done with Windows.

Sadly ID3Tag software is much better of a choice. Windows is very picky when it comes to this. Most of the time it does not work even with Windows Media Player and you have to resort to iTunes or WinAmp to do it cause Windows can not.

Cheers,
Mak

Well, I have the files saved on my Hard Drive, when I right click on it I can't edit it. Do you know what might be causing it?

Hello,

As i previously said, this is a limit of Windows. It does not have good MP3 support and renaming support for the MP3 files. It could be because of several factors. Spyware, write protected files, DRM files....

I can only suggest that you try WMP. See if that works. IF the right click doesnt work that is your best option to do it with Windows alone.

Cheers,
Mak

Are you using Vista? If so, then yes, you should be able to edit the ID tag by right clicking the file, clicking Properties, then click the Details tab. Then you can click on any line and enter the info.

If Windows is not allowing you to do that, the main reason is that you don't have permission. Is the file in your user's Music folder? If not, try moving it to that folder because you should have permission to do anything you want there. If you can't move the file, you may need to be logged in as administrator. If it's still not working, try turning off the UAC and see if you can do it. But you're right, you should be able to edit the tag from Windows Explorer. I just did it myself.

Are you using Vista? If so, then yes, you should be able to edit the ID tag by right clicking the file, clicking Properties, then click the Details tab. Then you can click on any line and enter the info.

If Windows is not allowing you to do that, the main reason is that you don't have permission. Is the file in your user's Music folder? If not, try moving it to that folder because you should have permission to do anything you want there. If you can't move the file, you may need to be logged in as administrator. If it's still not working, try turning off the UAC and see if you can do it. But you're right, you should be able to edit the tag from Windows Explorer. I just did it myself.

It's on a XP Pro SP3 Machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom