Can't access shared files through LAN after change of hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

koroshiya

Beta member
Hi,
I have two pcs, one with Windows XP and one with Windows 7 on a LAN connection.
Everything worked fine until I needed to change the boot hard drive on the first pc to a bigger one.
So I did an image of the original boot disk, I replaced the disk and restored all its data to the new one.
The system works fine, the only problem being whenever I share something that is contained to the new hard drive, the second pc (the one with Windows7) cannot access it and I get this following message:

You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

If I share files contained on any other hard drive, there is no problem! The LAN connection does not seem to have any problem as both computer can recognise and ping each other.
Also the WindowsXP system does not have any problems accessing any of the Windows7 shares.
The problem occurs only when the Windows7 system tries to access data on the new hard drive on the WindowsXP system.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Wow this is an oddity..hmmmm....hah. So you are saying when you create a share on differnt drive in your xp system you can get to it with no problems from the windows 7 computer? When you create a share from the brand new drive that contains the xp OS you cant access it from the windows 7 computer? Sounds like some strange SID issue or soemthing of the like. Did you run sysprep when you did the image? Also is the original hard drive in any of these systems along side with your new larger hard drive? They are all on the same workgroup?

Thank you for your reply. The problem is exactly how you describe it.
I used the program Macrium Reflect to clone the boot disk partitions.
I didn't use sysprep, not quite sure what it does. And no, the original hard drive was replaced from the system and its not in use by any machine atm, its been taken off completely. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom