Cant access internet on Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowd11

Baseband Member
While running a live Ubuntu trial I realized I couldn't connect to the internet, when I try to connect it gives me three options, the first is wired internet which is blanked out and not what I'm trying to use. The other two are Configure VPN and disconnect VPN. when i try to configure one ( I think thats what I Should do?) I get lost. Any help?

Do you have a ethernet port on your computer? I can't think of the commands to detect what connections you do have.

I do have an ethernet but because its going to be my laptop for class i really need to use wireless internet.

Do you know what wireless card you have? The best wireless card to use in Linux ise Atheros. There's one more, but I cant think of it.

Ummm not sure really the rig is a brand new netbook, its a Toshiba NB 505, if that helps. So im not to sure what card it has in it.

Yes i do, im still using the Windows 7 Starter the it came with. Like I said it was happening during the "trial" part of the installation. It has happened on my main rig as well as another laptop that is now KIA.

Make sure wireless is enabled while you're in Windows; I know mine doesn't like to use wireless if I disable wireless with the button while in Windows and reboot straight into Ubuntu without turning wifi back on via the wifi button.

In the live CD, open a terminal and run "lspci". Somewhere in that list you'll see an entry for Wireless or WLAN, something of that nature. Take note of the brand. If it's Atheros or Intel, you should be good to use wireless out of box. If you have Broadcom, your chances of using wireless out of box are slim and none since Broadcom is SO awesome with their closed source firmware, which requires you to install their firmware and reboot for wireless functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom