Can someone explain Microsoft.Net framework?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
OK, here's the story:

Was trying to download latest version of Yahoo Messenger 9.0. But it literally would not work. I had the icon, double clicked it, the process opens up in task manager, and then.......nothing. Nothing happens. Just not there. Very odd.

So I tried uninstalling YM 9.0 and I had trouble doing that too. It wouldn't let me. So out of frustration, I literally just deleted the Yahoo folder in Program files, and then used cleaners and registry cleaners.

Tried downloading YM 9.0 again but same problem. It actually got to 99% complete, but didn't finish installation. Strange. So I downloaded YM 8.0 in the meantime.

Anyway, I emailed Yahoo to try to figure out what the problem is. And in the email back, they told me to do this:

"Now, let's try resetting your web browser configuration to ensure proper
communication with our servers. This will restore the manufacturer
settings without deleting your Favorites. Here's how:

1. Close Yahoo! Messenger and all other applications.
2. Click the "Start" menu and select "Run." If you do not see the Run
command, then select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run.
3. Type in "inetcpl.cpl" and press "Enter." This opens Internet
Properties.
4. Select the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Reset..." button.
5. In the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" dialog box, click the
"Reset" button.
6. When the reset is complete, click "Close."
7. Click the "Security" tab, then select "Trusted Sites."
8. Click the "Sites" button.
9. Uncheck "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this
zone."
10. In the "Add this website to the zone" field, copy and paste the
following text:

*://*.yahoo.com/*

11. Click "Add," then click "Close."
12. Click "OK."

Next, for best compatibility with Yahoo! Messenger, please download and
install the following software updates.

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/1/0/d10d210e-e0ad-4010-b547-bc5e395ef691/vcredist_x86.exe

2. Java Runtime Environment Version 6 Update 7:

Download Free Java Software - Sun Microsystems

Last, I recommend you reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework which you
have installed on your system. Here's how:

1. Click the "Start" menu and select "Run."
2. Type in "appwiz.cpl" and press Enter. This opens "Add or Remove
Programs."
3. Select "Microsoft.NET Framework" and click "Remove." Repeat this step
to remove all installed versions.
4. Once all versions of the Microsoft .NET Framework are uninstalled,
restart your computer.
5. Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. Get the installer
at:

.NET Framework: Download

Once this update is installed, restart your computer again, and then try
to reproduce the problem you were experiencing.

I hope you are successful in troubleshooting your system and if I can be
of anymore assistance, please don't hesitate to reply.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Messenger.

Be sure to check the Official Yahoo! Messenger Blog for more information
and the latest updates about Yahoo! Messenger!"

Wow. What is all that? I was hesitant to perform these steps because it seemed so complicated. Generally, my computer works pretty well, so I don't understand why I have to perform all these steps for YM 9.0. What is the Microsoft.Net 3.5? I never heard of this, yet sure enough, the latest framework I have in Add/Remove is 2.0. So should I download 3.5?

Which of the above steps should I perform, if any?

FYI, I have Windows XP, Service Pack 3, I generally use Firefox 3.0, P4 Dell system, 1 GM Mem, desktop, use KIS 2009.

Thanks so much.

The Microsoft .Net Framework is basically the "platform" that programming languages interact with to carry out their functions. In other words, for a computer to run Visual Basic (ver. whatever), you would have to install the .Net Framework so VB could run. Kind of like needing Java JDK and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to run applications made by the Java language.

Boil it down, and what they are saying is they suggest you download that so the .Net Framework software will support Yahoo Messenger so that it can run properly. Putting the foundation down for it to run.

As far as suggestions about what to do....I would ask Mak213 (the resident Microsoft Guru and all-around good guy) or another guru around the forums - you will know them, they post often and are easy to spot as far as knowing their stuff. I decline to give other names other than Mak so no one feels left out :p Good luck ;)

EDIT: I figured I would add these links :

.NET Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.NET Framework Conceptual Overview

Yes you should have ,NET 3.5 and .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

I don't know if you really need to uninstall the other ones. .Net is designed so that you can have multiple versions installed along side of each other.

It might be useful to uninstall them for a cleaner system, but I don't really think it would help with your problem. You definitely need to install .Net 3.5, though. And I would leave the latest version 2 installed for compatibility reasons.

I also don't see the need to install the entire framework, unless you're going to start programming in .Net. The runtime package should be good enough if all you're going to do is run a program that requires it.

Interesting what runs behind the scenes that many of us know nothing about. Or at least me.

I just received an automatic download notification for .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (248 MB). I'm running Windows XP Home SP3. I didn't know what .NET Framework was so did a little reading to determine if this download was necessary and now realize it is.

I checked my Microsoft .NET folder and found the latest version I have is 2.0.

My question is, do I need to download and install .NET Framework 3.5 before I download the update noted above, or will downloading the update also update my .NET 2.0 to 3.5 SP1?

Thanks!

You shouldnt have to. From what i remember of the .NET 3.5 was that it included most things from .NET 2.0 on to .NET 3.5 in the installer. If you need to install like .NET 2.0 SP it will tell you.

The .NET framework is exactly what it sounds like. It is the framework used in many of todays applications build by Microsoft. They run on .NET for better functionality with both web and desktop integration across all platforms.

.NET Framework: Overview

Good question! I have just reinstalled XP on one of my systems and because of some of the visual apps I use on XP, some require different versions of .Net Framework one requires 1.1 no matter if you have 2.0 or any other it still requires 1.1

Back to my current install, I installed 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 just as default installs on XP but when I connected with update it never sent the service packs for them and usually it does but not this time. I installed SP3 by the standalone installer, did this already update my .Net Framework?

And do these same .Net Frameworks install on 7?

Or you could just grad Trillain, Pidgin, or Digby instead. They are multi-client IM programs, and all seem to be a lot easier to install and use than the stand alone versions.

XP SP3 shouldnt affect your .NET installs. It might take you up to .NET 3 but i think they left that out cause it would make the installer much larger.

Win7 comes with .NET 3.5 already incorporated. Some say they have installed .NET 3.5 SP1. But it does not have .NET 1.1 and those service packs from back then. Those you will have to force install.

The best option is to TRY and install them. It will tell you what you need. I cant vouch for what .NET is included in every SP cause it installs parts of it for each cause they want to keep the size down due to people still being on dial up. To download and install every .NET to include with the SP would make it much larger.

.NET 1.1 is not included with Win7 cause much of that is used on really old software that should be updated to work with the newer frameworks anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom