Can only connect to internet through router and proxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mardymar

Solid State Member
Hello -

I can only connect to the internet on my compter if I go through a router and use a proxy service. Other computers work fine with or without the router and proxy.

What the heck is going on here?!

Thanks

off the top of my head, i'd say it could be a router config issue or malware infection. do all these computers connect to the same router? ...you posted that other computers work without the router. **confused**

first, i'd run malware scans (malware bytes, symantec online, hijackthis)

next, basic network troubleshooting. does this computer have an ip address? can it ping the default gateway? can it resolve a dns name? can it ping yahoo.com?

you could also run a factory reset on the router to clear any misconfigs.

Hi, to connect to the internet you will need a router, as office politics said. So for a start the information you've provided doesn't appear to be that accurate.

Could you provide some specific examples of what you have to do that other users don't? e.g. enter a password or username?

Thanks for your replies. I'll explain some more.

I am talking about an internet connection in my apartment (in Korea), not my work. I connect to the apartments internet through a plug in the wall. I don't have access to the main router.

My computer worked great for about three weeks until it suddenly stopped working one morning. The computer incorrectly said the cable was unplugged. I couldn't ping anything.

I thought it was a problem with the connection in my room so I called my isp and they sent a repairman. The repairman was able to access the internet and said the connection worked fine. He said the problem was with my network card.

Since I'm new in Korea I didn't know where to find a network card, but I noticed that I could still pick up wireless signals so I bought a wireless router. I configured the router with a friends computer (which was very confusing since the configuration was in korean) then tested the connection on my friends computer and everything worked great for her. When I tried my computer I still wasn't able to connect. I tried using a proxy (foxyproxy) on my computer and the connection started working. I can even connect without the wireless if the cable is plugged into the router.

So I can only connect to the internet as long as I use a proxy and a router.

I am looking into your suggestions. So far I haven't been able to find any malware. I'll also do the network troubleshooting. Maybe I messed up on the router configuration, after all the whole thing was in korean. But it was a new router and would it make any sense for my friends computer (the comp that configured the network) to work correctly if the configuration was wrong?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the length.

Don't worry, longer posts are much better than short posts :) (most of the time)

Well, we know the cable is working, and the actual wall socket is working. We also know your network card is working, as it connected fine through your router.
So, just to confirm this, when you plug your pc straight into the wall socket it says the cable is still unplugged?
The thing is, no matter what configuration you've got on your pc, you should still at the very least show a 'connected' status when you ARE connected.

That being said the only thing I can think of that might be stuffing up is the network card. Try reinstalling the drivers for it. Make sure you uninstall the old ones first, and make sure you find the new drivers before you uninstall the old ones :)

Reinstalling the divers worked like a charm.

I no longer need to use a proxy service. I still need to connect through my router for some reason, but that is easy to deal with.

Thank you for your help. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom