Can I use the same OS if I replace my MB and CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically you can not. Not with XP nor with Vista.

Microsoft said many years ago that a new mobo equaled a new PC. So therefor you would have to buy a new version of Windows to install.

Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence - Aviran's Place

So if you really want to be technical. You would have to buy a new copy of Windows.

does this apply to OEM version found in laptops and pre-build PCs or also to retail version (which we paid dearly for it)?

ahh, well only OEM is subject to the 1 MB/PC limitation, full liscense will be ok from one to another. I believe that is only for 3 builds though. but this has been and still is widly debated..

I have it all listed in the OEM/Retail thread.

Technically if you buy a new PC you have to buy a new Windows. If you format your old PC that contains a retail purchased copy you can TRANSFER the license to the new PC.

But you can NOT leave the copy on the old PC and also install it on the new PC.

There is nothing to debate. As these are the facts per the EULA of Windows.

OEM can not be transfered at all. It must stay with the machine it was purchased with.

Retail can be transferred. But only if removed from the old PC first, and you have not gone over the Transfer Limit. Which is 3 machines.

A transfer includes ALL documentation and information received with the original purchase. So if you do not have any part of the original documentation you can not transfer the license.

Direct Quotes from the EULA.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must
assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.”
A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may
use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the
Storage and Network Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any
other device.

10. BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the media. You may use it only to reinstall
the software.

16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.
a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may
make a one time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party. The first
user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user
may not retain any copies.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software directly to a third
party only with the licensed device. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier
version.
c. Other Requirements. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this
agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the proof
of license

There it is directly from the EULA. A 1 time transfer which includes all documentation.

Which means i could take my license and transfer it to Hampton. In turn Hampton could NOT turn around and transfer his license to carnageX.

At the same time if a backup copy was made, it must be surrendered. It also must be fully uninstalled.

So i guess i should edit the OEM/Retail thread.

BTW that is the Retail EULA which i have quoted.

That still kinda burns my rear...
Thats a poor EULA.
They should atleast allow 2 systems installed per purchase in my opinion, thats why people
pirate it so much. if you have a laptop and desktop or 2 desktops at home you should not have to buy 2 copies of the OS. just me.

Okay now you will hate me.

Sadly while what i posted was the honest truth and that is the policy. What Carnage and Lex said could have been done. I just wanted to clarify that the License agreement it is technically illegal to do so. But it could have been done.

At worst you would have had to call to get it activated. Which is a 5 minute call and easy to explain.

Sorry about that. I should have said it earlier. But i just wanted it to be known that the truth of the subject is that a new mobo is a new PC so you technically have to buy a new OS.

Mak,

Naw, I do not hate you...like I said, you have helped me so many times I lost count over the last few months...and your help for me was invaluable.

And thanks for this recent clarity...I suppose knowing about these issues will better prepare me for future options...

Uh, I forgot to say that the new upgrade we bought yesterday is a 64-bit version. I have never tried it and after reading about it, most people are saying it is a great idea and that many software vendors now have a version that can run 64 bit. I suppose best of all, I can put on 8 gigs or more of RAM instead of the usual 4 gigs.

My only concern is that I do not really want to put Windows XP Pro on it first...I really prefer a clean install. I have been reading a number of posts that say it is possible to do a clean install with an upgrade version.

To be honest with you, I am not sure if I can do a clean install with the Microsoft Vista Ultimate Red 64-bit upgrade we just purchased...have you any suggestions on this for us Mak? I just do not like the idea of putting on XP and then Vista. Is it really safe?

It's me,

Soar

Yes it is possible to do a clean install with the Upgrade DVD. Just hit up google and you will find that information.

I have it all listed in the OEM/Retail thread.

Technically if you buy a new PC you have to buy a new Windows. If you format your old PC that contains a retail purchased copy you can TRANSFER the license to the new PC.

But you can NOT leave the copy on the old PC and also install it on the new PC.

There is nothing to debate. As these are the facts per the EULA of Windows.

OEM can not be transfered at all. It must stay with the machine it was purchased with.

Retail can be transferred. But only if removed from the old PC first, and you have not gone over the Transfer Limit. Which is 3 machines.

A transfer includes ALL documentation and information received with the original purchase. So if you do not have any part of the original documentation you can not transfer the license.

Direct Quotes from the EULA.

There it is directly from the EULA. A 1 time transfer which includes all documentation.

Which means i could take my license and transfer it to Hampton. In turn Hampton could NOT turn around and transfer his license to carnageX.

At the same time if a backup copy was made, it must be surrendered. It also must be fully uninstalled.

So i guess i should edit the OEM/Retail thread.

BTW that is the Retail EULA which i have quoted.

Exactly..

That is what I meant, the only debate is how many times the retail can be moved from one machine to another.. never at the same time.. it wouldn't work.. you can't activate the Same liscense on 2 different machines at the same time.. MS won't let you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom