Can i stop others from using my internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very good advice you have there, Zach.

BTW, how IP address can be easily get around?

wow.... some very nice advice there... thx Ethereal_Dragon

just for reference, my router is a 'Netgear 108 Mbps super wireless adsl router'... i got it cos my computer is a long way away from a phone outlet :(

still, thx for advice... will try it out when i get some spare time

With DHCP your IP is dynamic, it doesn't ensure that it will remain the same. Blocking a dynamic IP address isn't a good method. Some home router DHCP service allow you to staticly assign your own address, therefore bypassing the filter and DHCP. Filtering out all IP addresses except for one can still be bypassed by denying the computer with that address and spoofing the address or waiting until that computer is off and using that address.

MAC address can easily be changed or spoofed through the registry, bypassing the MAC filter. Anyone can easily capture MAC address information with Ethereal because of the way the Switch envirnoment operate.

It doesn't mean that everyone is technically savvy to perform all this bypassing technique, however it's still feasible that you apply these security setting. It's better than no security.

Law said:
With DHCP your IP is dynamic, it doesn't ensure that it will remain the same. Blocking a dynamic IP address isn't a good method. Some home router DHCP service allow you to staticly assign your own address, therefore bypassing the filter and DHCP. Filtering out all IP addresses except for one can still be bypassed by denying the computer with that address and spoofing the address or waiting until that computer is off and using that address.

MAC address can easily be changed or spoofed through the registry, bypassing the MAC filter. Anyone can easily capture MAC address information with Ethereal because of the way the Switch envirnoment operate.

It doesn't mean that everyone is technically savvy to perform all this bypassing technique, however it's still feasible that you apply these security setting. It's better than no security.

Thx for sharing Law

Originally I was thinking maybe he could disable the router's DHCP and set it to accept only one particular IP Address and reject all others and then manually set the IP Address in the TCP/IP Properties to make it static. I forgot one could still spoof the address. But thank God, like you said, not everyone is tech savvy enough to know how to do it.

It doesn't take much effort to get into the router configuration page. Because the manufactures made it so easy to use the reset button to set the router back to factory default. Probably the best defense to keep someone from doing that is physical security. Securing your room with a lock and the router with a lock box. Even if the person tries to unplug the device power, the router still maintain it's configuration except when the reset button is press.

The person doesn't really need to disable DHCP to set his address staticly. Because most home router DHCP pool are assigned to certain computer, the rest is left for the admin to staticly assign other computer. For example Linksys befsr41 DHCP pool is 192.168.1.50 to .100 that means .2 to .49 and .101 to .254 is left for static assignment.

How true with what you said, Law.

Chrono, you mean if you stop your bro using the internet connection thro' technical mean he will not "just ***** to his mom... then i get an earfull of crap"?
:confused:

well... he porbably still will... thats why i needed an easy way to keep him off untill i say he can go on... then at least i can say "thats the way it should be, dont blame me" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom