Can anyone diagnose this?

Decka

Solid State Member
I had this post in the "laptop" forum, but since it has nothing to do with the actual functioning of the laptop and everything to do with the programming and software, I thought I'd try here.

My laptop quickly went from working well to being barely functional.

Laptop Specs:
Acer Aspire 5740
Intel(R) Core TM i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHZ
RAM 4 GB 3.68 usable
64 bit
Windows 7 Home Premium

The first thing I noticed was the Redirect in Firefox and in Internet Explorer, which would direct me to a different site (usually one asking me to buy something) rather than the link I clicked on. I would have to back up and re-click the link, and then I'd reach my intended destination.

I then noticed I couldn't access my Gmail. I could access google fine, and my hotmail, yahoo, etc. It was something about Gmail, the website wouldn't respond.

I did some research and was told it might be something to do with my Firewall.
(McAfee – Firewall enabled, Personal Information protection = on.)
Further research recommended me to check my "host" file. I went through this process:

1. removed all google sites from the host file (c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

2. turned off javascript (Firefox/tools/options/content)

3. Downloaded/ran TDDSKiller System Scan
Processed: 256 objects, Infection: not found

4. Ran a Malwarebytes full scan

5. Ran a Hitman Pro 3.5.8 64-bit one time scan
- No threats Found
- 2 Traces: atdmt.com Tracking Cookie, Statse.webtrandslove.com Tracking cookie

After doing all that and shutting down my computer, I returned a few days later and found new problems:

- Firefox would load for nearly a minute, and then tell me "Firefox taking too long to respond"
- Yahoo would appear, but ANY search I attempted would give me a "Yahoo.com taking too long to respond" page.
- I even tried Bing.com - "Cannot access page"

So I said "screw firefox" and tried Internet Explorer:
- Google.com: "Internet explorer cannot cannot display webpage" Diagnose connection problems
- Yahoo.com: Yahoo appears, but like above, if I try any search? "Yahoo taking too long to respond"

The Odd thing is, I can access my hotmail, facebook, AND bookmarked page, and they update. I'm connected. I can send and receive emails on those pages.

I then tried a system restore to a point about six months ago, and now
- Firefox crashes as soon as it starts, and I get a Mozilla Crash Report.
- Internet explorer says "Igoogle redirect" and gives me "The address is not valid" page.

I have no idea what to do. I hook up via Wifi, am connected to the server, but I can't do anything on this computer. Can anyone help? Should I run a Hijack or Combofix on it so you have more info?

Hey Office.. thanks for the advice.

However, the problem is thankfully fixed. After uninstalling AVG and running Combofix, I now I have open access to the internet. Thus, if anyone has the problem I described, give Combofix a shot.

Back
Top Bottom