Best Sound Card, Dilemma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfauser

Beta member
I'm currently looking for a top of the line sound card, price being no issue. I've done some research but I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the audiophile vocabulary and some of the terms are alien to me. So I reach out and hopefully I can get some good advice, perhaps mildly decrypted. A card that preferably doesn't just suit one niche of sound enhancement, e.g. stereo support and lacks in multichannel 5.1/7.1 options and gives games quality sound as well as other media. I'll give you a few cards that I believe are market leaders, tell me what you think/know any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Please don't your card, and tell me its the best simply because you have it, unless your well informed and it is actually so.

Basically I want the best of both worlds, Gaming & Media. If DX2 should be here too say so. I listed some of my sound and PC at the bottom if it helps at all.

ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Sound output mode Stereo?

Somewhat confused about the STX, and it's output mode, apparently it obviously output in other modes, as you would expect from top of the line sound card, but its Stereo main? I assume it emulates 5.1/7.1? Is this a audiophile card for playback/recording of tracks for the most perfect quality play of audio marvels? My main quarrel is the components from the capacitors to the chip's are all VERY VERY high quality on this card, all of the best components that the audio community rage on about in one card, it's even suggested that this card is superior to many professional studio set-ups. Obviously has optical/coax and other connection types. I'm very confused...

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. [...] odelmenu=1

ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe - 7.1 channel surround ?

This seems to be the select card any cinema rig, supporting everything audio has to offer. It seems like the safe bet to me for all round usage for gaming and media. The question is, could there be another card that much better for gaming that this is inferior? Both cards run the same main chip I believe, other features I'm not so familiar with... yes I have seen benchmarks but my lack of audio knowledge doesn't assist me in analysing them.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. [...] odelmenu=2

BOTH support latest EAX I believe

If it helps I will be using, Tritton AX Pro headphones, and already have Logitech z5500.

Core i7 920
ASUS P6T Deluxe

I play many games, FPS, MMO etc, I like to watch movies too, all kinds. I don't mind if one costs more, or if there is another better setup with one of these cards and some other device..

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom