Beginner looking to get his foot in the door

Carmex

Beta member
I'm 16 and last night I was talking to an older family friend whose career is in the IT field. I was asking where to start and he was suggesting just starting off with my A+ certifications and get my foot in the door with a help desk job. That sounds interesting and I'm totally up for it, so I'll look into doing that soon.

Once I have the certification, what places would I be able to work at while I'm 16?

I also mentioned I was interested in computer programming and he told me to start by creating a website or interactive calendar. I'm interested in doing those, but I'm not sure where to start.

Where can I learn more coding online?
What sites would be best for a beginner to create a website on?

Thank you,
Carmex

Going for your A+ is a good starter. That's actually the path I'm on now although I wish I would have started when you are. I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to get a help desk job being 16. Ask around. I would say even working behind the counter at a computer parts store would give you some good knowledge.

Get your A+ and Net+, at 16 your best bet for a job is going to be a local computer repair shop, geek squad or a call center-type place where you could do phone support for software / hardware.

The biggest thing is get experience.

As for coding, college is your best bet here IMO. Get a 4 year degree if possible. Otherwise if you just want to code on the side google is your friend. There are TONS of free online articles / blogs that tell you have to create things with various codes (VB, C++, Java, ect).

A+ and Net+ are definitely a good start. I just got both of mine within the last 2 years and it definitely helps you build a solid foundation. As Lexluthar said, experience is the best thing and it will help you retain what you've learned.

Once you get your A+ and Net+ certifications, many people (myself included) go after their Security+ too. Just an option to consider. Tech-Exams is a forum dedicated to those types of certifications (Free MCTS MCITP CCNA CISSP and Network+ practice exams, study notes and forums)

Being 16 I am sure you are still in High School and living at your parents.

Simply talk to companies about doing a summer job or volunteer to help the IT department. Tell them you want to make a career and would love to learn more and get an extra step of what it is really like.

Any Geek would love to have a minion for a summer or a couple of hours a week.

Many companies have summer intern jobs (might be scarce with the current economy) and will often hire teenage interns.

My son worked for a software company as an intern the summer he was 16 and it was a great learning experience for him. He worked as a "browser compatibility tester", where he tested web apps with different browsers. I worked for the company as a Sr Software Engineer so he had inside help getting the job.

Maybe the older family friend could talk to his company about a summer internship for you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom