AVI editing/file size reduction or splitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I've got a few .AVI files that I want to burn to CDs, but they're JUST over the CD filesize limit (700MB) and I've checked and they wont fit.

What I need is a free or uncrippled trial version application that can edit AVI files, preferrably something easy to use. I'd rather make the base width/height less than reduce of quality... Whatever it takes to get the files down by about 10 or 20 MB each. These things are sitting on my harddrive taking up several GB all together and I really need the space.

Or better yet, how can I take an AVI and split it into TWO (or more) watchable AVIs?

VirtualDub is the way to go (freeware).

Either:

a) top and tail the file (using Direct Stream Copy in BOTH Video and Audio tabs)...that is removing unwanted Start or Finish Titles by editing the movie...takes about 5 mins.

or

b) Re-encode using VDub (always try and do option 'a' first) but you will lose some quality, and you will need to RE-ENCODE to an installed codec of which you will have to understand and calculate its projected file size using the parameters that you have set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom