Anyone Playing The BF: Bad Company Beta ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Well i just subscribed to IGN for $6 a month to get my Subscriber BETA key for BF Bad Company, downloading right now :)

Anyone else played it yet ? any good ?

Well i just played solidly for an hour or two. Right away i can tell you the gameplay mechanics are pretty much spot on traditional Battlefield type gameplay, most of you will be glad to here.

The graphics are very good, there not spectacular but definitely very good. The explosions are better than usual, heck, there better than nearly every game i've seen. Theres some problems with shadowing at the moment on buildings and trees, this should be fixed by release.

The physics. Theres not a whole lot to say except fireing a grenade into any part of a building has some very cool effects, huge chunks of the wall smash apart with ruble flying everywere - and yes, the ruble is actually and object. It does have mass behind it ! (not some stupid effect with a weightless textured mesh flying through the air). After about 20 or 30 minutes lots of the building are pretty smashed up, but still useable.

The weapons are quite easy to use, sniping isnt to hard or to easy but is rewarding. Expect to be aiming 1 to 4 meters infront of your target over very long distances (over 5 or 600 meters, out of your viewable distance unless you scope) whilst running ofcourse. I didnt notice bullet drop on the ballistics engine though, and even with them. it's a REALLY REALLY fun game :D

Now... grenade launches, i know many BF2 fans will probably say that its to powerfull and noobs can run around and blow you up. This is still true, partially. There less powerfull now, you have to be alot more accurate with it now to kill someone with full health, but instead of haveing 2 or 3 grenades you are now gave 5 or 6. But yes, definitely less 'noob cannon' kills.

Trees can nocked down, or shot down for those of you that are interested ??..you can camoflage quite well with shrubs and the terrain.

However, i have one MAJOR gripe with this game. You can't go prone, nope, you can only crouch. And it can be a bit annoying.

They still havn't got past the spawn killing either, its still relatively easy for a good tank driver to turn up at your base and kill you as soon as you spawn. However i cant back this up but i would say shells now offer less damage to people, makeing life that little bit easier.

The maps (of which there are 2 on the beta) are very good. Especially oasis, which is a long and fairly wide map with a river running through it with a few small islands with good trees to camoflage into. There are several sets of buildings, reminisent of buildings in Tunisia. The other map is small and urban, with many many houses. Its built upon a slope, providing snipers the chance to snipe. Although its definitely not a sniping map.

The sound in the game is also very good, with surround sound being used. Bullets wizz past you and guns go off with realistic sounds. You can here distant gun fire very well which adds to the immersion.

Summing it all up i would definitely reccomend you buy the game, 9/10.

Here are some good videos of the BETA gameplay > N4G.com : Battlefield: Bad Company Multiplayer Beta Impressions by IGN

Edit: After around 3 or 4 hours of gameplay...

Here i will only be mentioning problems i have found with the game after a closer inspection.
Bullet damage on automatic weapons like assualt rifles is ridiculously low, it takes around 30 to 40 rounds to kill someone, a few less with the support class.
Erlier on i mentioned about the grenade launcher, well in fact now it's too weak, its very hard to kill someone with. your better off just using it for getting out of buildings or blowing them up.

The walls blow up in set segments, its fine usualy and looks quite good. But occasionaly its VERY obvious and a bit dissapointing. For instance i shot right on the corner of a wall and only the left side blew out in a perfect square, the other side untouched.

Some walls (not many at all though) that clearly should be destroyable arn't, also annoying.

if you hit a tree branch or leaf with the sniper the entire top of the tree falls.

anti-tank weapons are far to weak, 3, 4, or even 5 shots to take down a tank.

Theres a delay in all physics explosions, you stab some glass and about 0.3 or 0.4 seconds later it smash's, small time and not that bad - but noticible, same with fireing grenades at the wall.

Thats it really, if them things get patched up which im sure atleast some of them will. it's a pretty much faultless game.

Thanks.

Actually, they have only 3 preset zones. Half way up, the base of the tree, and the top branches (which just dissapear if shot into a brown cloud, odd) so yes crysis is still better :p

Hopefully this will of been improved after the BETA.

Despite this, it's one really awesome game. I played it all day today and didn't get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom