Anti-Virus and gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really weird...

I did a selective startup, and disabled pretty much everything (NOD and SpySweeper included).

When I restarted, however, the processes were STILL running in the background. Ctrl-Alt-Delete showed them too me, but Spysweeper was using less memory...Normally is uses like 22,000K, but it was only using about 6,000K when I started the compy up.

That's weird, I'm guessing the programs do that so that hackers/malware/viruses can't disable your protective programs....but that still leaves me with the issue of being unable to completely disable those programs :p ...

But anyways, I still tried to play some games with almost nothing running. Starcraft gave me trouble...When I'd join an 8 player game, it'd lag really bad. Regardless of how many games I joined (in the hopes that I'd get a better host), it was still jerky. It was reminiscent of the days where I played starcraft over dial up...

I DID have one point where I was lagging REALLY bad...and even the join game list was slow at refreshing. So I logged of BNet, then logged back on only to get a message saying that BattleNet was having trouble with my UDP port 6112, like it was blocked by a router or something..I quit and rejoined later, and I haven't gotten that message again. That makes me wonder if it isn't my computer, but the internet we have at these apartments...

But yeah. then, I tried CS:Source. I got mixed results. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned having a best CS ping of like 87? Well, I didn't have as MUCH trouble with lag today. In one or two games, I got down to like 57 ms ping. Other games, I would be up in the 100's but it wasn't NEAR as bad as it was before I disabled pretty much all of my startup problems. So, it looks like it helped a little bit...

But I'm wondering now what I can do about the router/firewall/whatever. I'm not too sure if the apartment would allow me to futz with their router farm (no, considering the trouble we've had, they probably keep the thing under surveillance).

Has anybody had router/port troubles while staying at an apartment/dorm w/e?

Nod32 you cant stop the process and if you do it just restarts itself. With Spysweeper you could prolly stop it thru msconfig > services tab > 'spysweeper guard' or similar.

About the starcraft issue, i believe that is b.net as it used to happen to be back in my D2 gaming days :)

Never had any expirence with large networks in apartments/dorms sorry as I still live at home and I am system admin of my 2 PC network at home ^^ LOL

PS If you want help disabling spysweeper service i'll see what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom