Airline Ticket Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetCablesPlus

Baseband Member
Hi,

My online PC & Network cable business seems to be high on the list for scammers, phishers, etc. Just got a new email that I had not seen before and thouht that I would pass it along to everyone. I just got and email from:

American Airlines [ushrb@brainkast.com]

with the subject line:

Your Online Flight Ticket N 78864

The body of the email was pretty good. They used good grammar and English and listed my supposed login email (which was the same one that they targeted for the email) and a password.

They also attached a .zip file with the supposed e-tickets to print out and the file was named:

eTicket_K2.zip

Now, I travel a lot and get email confirmations from airlines and travel websites all of the time. It turns out that I have not booked on American in quite some time, so my suspicions were immediately raised. The fact that the email address did not resolve to an American domain was also a tip off. However, if you are a traveling businessperson, like me, it would be very easy to get caught by this one as you are quickly checking out of a hotel, etc.

Sounds like your standard phisher scam. Forward it to american airlines, delete, move on.

Double check the URL. If it doesnt go to American Airlines site directly then it is a scam.

Also please do a who is on the URL, an forward it to the company they are trying to be a spoof of, if that company has a presence in the country they should have a legal case agenst them.

Phising is easy to get detect, most of the time they use generic kits I have seen ones ranging from hotmail / google mail, bank and building society's, rapid share, even Private torrent sights once or twice, avialable in kit form just report them to the company that they are pretending to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom