Advice on Build for Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

So I am building a friend a computer and he is on a bit of a budget. So we've been looking around and found some processors to start out with. There will be more advice needed but for now this is what I'll start with.

Processor Options:

• Intel i7 920 (Price: $65) - Do not believe it comes w/ stock fan
  • Intel i7 920 (Price: $120) - Again not sure if it comes w/ stock fan
  • Intel i7 920, i7 930, i7 950 (No price asking for reasonable offer hope you could help with with that)
  • Intel i7 2600k Brand New (Price: $300) - Probably more power than he needs and wants to spend but wanted my opinion.
  • Intel i3-2130 (Price: $100) - Used lightly

Power Supplies:
  • OCZ 600w Blue LED (Price: $30)
  • Delta 460w (Price: $15)

Other than that we haven't decided on much. I told him we needed to make a choice around a processor so that we could get the appropriate motherboard and go from there.

A little background. He is a retired gentlemen. He isn't a hardcore gamer. He just likes to have some cool tech stuff but nothing super flashy. He'll want it to surf the web, browse multimedia, watch videos, etc. I guess you could say a pretty average user. However, again he wants it to be the best he can get for the money.

I don't know a whole lot about the Intel 900 series processors so that is where I need some help. He is willing to go with an AMD but I think he is leaning towards an Intel. I told him an Intel i3 Sandy Bridge would give him all the power he needs but he wanted to check out some other options.

Would any of those i7s, for the price, be better than a current i3 Sandy Bridge?

Also, as far as those power supplies go. Are they any good? I've never even heard of Delta and I know OCZ is well known for SSD drives but don't know much about their power supplies.

Since he isn't a gamer, nor will he be watching hooking it up to a TV for high def we'll be using an on-board graphics and audio. I personally am a huge ASUS fan but they aren't the cheapest out there. Any suggestions on good brands that aren't crap for a decent price?

Any other information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, he won't be needing a hard drive or any optical drive as I have already got spares I am providing.

Thanks so much in advance!

Honestly doubt he'll see much difference between the i7 920 and i3 2130 for what he is using it for (benches).
The 920 doesn't have an upgrade path though, so may take that into consideration when buying.

I would say if that first 920 has the stock fan, buy it, $65 is a steal.
If not you'll be getting closer to the i3 price having to buy an aftermarket cooler, so might as well buy the i3.

As to the power supplies, OCZ's newer offerings are doing quite well, don't think I've seen one with blue LEDs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom