A+ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbeatsGroove

Beta member
Is an A+ that necessary if I get Net+ and CCNA? Also, Do these Certifications expire?

Oh and I guess I should have mentioned that I would like to work up to a network administrator. Right now I am in the process of completing a A.S in computer science and am unsure if I will take it to a bachelor. I just want to know what certs would really set me apart and which ones might not be totally necessary ( the A+ perhaps).

The A+ is not necessary for any other certification, most people just suggest it first because it is the most basic IT exam you can take.

A+ and Net+ do not expire. They have a date on them to which they are 'current' but they do not expire. I've heard CompTIA was thinking about making them expire because people who were certified in 2001 can still say they are A+ certified. Also heard this is one of the last years they'll offer exams that don't expire or you don't have to renew.

The CCNA expires after three years, then you have to get recertified.

Take the a+ just to get it. Its a good tool to have. Also, you might not need the net+ if you are taking CCNA courses as its mostly the same thing. I would take MCP before net+

a+ didn't teach me anything new except for all the cabling standards and printer info they test you on for the a+, which i quickly forgot once i realized i wasn't using it, hah. the a+ does look good though, at least better than no cert at all, and is the reason i got my current job.

i would strongly suggest taking the n+ before ccna though. i don't have my ccna yet but my understanding is not that the ccna teaches you the same things as the n+ and then some, but rather the ccna expects you to know the info covered in the n+ so that you can build on it with cicso's curriculum. and the n+ is a great cert and can be fun to learn if you're interested. it teaches you some core fundamentals that are key to understanding networking to the extent you'll want to if you're trying to go ccna. i feel like the n+ was far more helpful than the a+, but both of them together shows a good base to employers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom