A Twitter Hole Lets You Google Protected Tweets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master

Wait a minute, is this really a problem? I could be wrong but this looks like Google just indexed tweets from public accounts before they went private. The LA Times makes it seem like there is a huge security hole that allows people to see private tweets. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Google's search crawler, called the Googlebot, appears to be given an unobstructed view into Twitter's more than 5 billion messages, including supposedly protected tweets. It seems Googlebot can crawl through the doggy door and access private profiles without permission. Many of those protected messages can be found through Google's search engine. The results page shows an index of the tweets it has logged, and for more recent tweets, a cache of the page as it might appear for someone who has been granted access.

Wait a minute, is this really a problem? I could be wrong but this looks like Google just indexed tweets from public accounts before they went private. The LA Times makes it seem like there is a huge security hole that allows people to see private tweets. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Google's search crawler, called the Googlebot, appears to be given an unobstructed view into Twitter's more than 5 billion messages, including supposedly protected tweets. It seems Googlebot can crawl through the doggy door and access private profiles without permission. Many of those protected messages can be found through Google's search engine. The results page shows an index of the tweets it has logged, and for more recent tweets, a cache of the page as it might appear for someone who has been granted access.

Its twitters fault for letting them get indexed. Not google's.

I could care less about twitter, never saw the point in it anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom