A change of career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadley

In Runtime
Hiya,

Right now after thinking long and hard i've decided i need a career change before i'm old and past it.
I'm 31 and i need some advice before i take the plunge!

I've been tinkering with pc's since '98 when i bought my first pentium 120 and soon afterwards got busy upgrading and have been ever since.
I know a fair bt about OS's in general having self taught myself with trial and error in win 95 (nightmare floppy version) thru 98, 2000 and now xp.
I can set-up a small network (A few mates for some quake action!).
Have been using the net for 6 years and have setup countless accounts on 56k, isdn, dsl manually.
I'm an avid online gamer so i tweak wherever i can.
I can slap up a quick website.

Loads of friends and collegues ask me to 'fix' their pc's when they have a prob, and they seem to think i'm some sort of genius! LOL

So this is where i need your advice.

I want to do this kind of thing for a living!
I have a fair amount of experience but 'only' what i have taught myself and if i don't know something i can usually root out the prob through sites like this, but i know its not enough to get a job.

What sort of college courses should i got for? What course would i need to start on and then progress?

Can i do this with part-time courses as i have a house, car and a misses to run i simply cannot afford to stop work and go into full-time education.

Sorry for long post but i don't really know what else to write. I think i'm having a mid-life crisis!!

Thanks for any help

what do you do now? (for money)

It sounds like your a "computer fixer"... you can fix or figure out the problem OR at least know when to call for help.

The knowledge you have with games, tweaking, upgrading, etc... tells me you can solve problems.

I'm not sure more school or classes is the answer for you, UNLESS you dramatically want to go in a different direction... if so, you need to give more details on "What you like and what you WANT to do"

Otherwise, I would say... go find a computer repair shop or some computer store.... one that is established and does a wide range of computer services.....I'm sure you would be a VERY IMPORTANT and beneficial assets (employee) to the right company.

With out knowing your personality, soft skills, etc.... maybe you just need someone to market your skills for you???

anyway... JMO
good luck

I'm a Carpenter, but have been doing some work for my Dad driving but i've had enuff of both.

I've thought about applying for the sort of work you mention but just assumed i would need some sort of qualification, and that i have no idea how to put across what i can do with no certificate backup?

Oh and yea, the work you describe sounds like what i want to do.

Thanks for the reply and help!

Just read through my post and i haven't really explained what i meant very well.

If i go to a local pc shop that deals with upgrading, servicing etc (and there are quaite a few independents where i live) how would i go about convincing them i can, as you say, become a useful employee?

Sorry if this is becoming a 'job' thread but i thought that i would need written proof that i can undertake the tasks.

My local college has a few evening courses on upgrading pc's etc, and to be honest i could do them no problem, but at the end of it i'll get a certificate. It won't be anything special, but it'll be something f you know what i mean?

You're reply has sorta got me excited:) I didn't expect such a positive reply.

real quick.... in my opinion, when it comes to computers, etc.

Experience trumps "book knowledge"---- maybe not in management or running a business or leading, BUT that was not my take on what you wanted to do.

if you go to a local computer shop, inquire if they need help or... better yet, say this, " Hi, if the perfect employee approached you, would you hire him?"
--- not in those exact words :)

anyway... my guess is EVERY business owner whats the perfect employee...

if you can fix/correct/solve PC problems faster or more efficently than their current staff.... you should be hired.

Now... I'm not giving a true life example, but you get my point.

:)

The major issue is marketing your talents, letting your potential customer base know who you are and what you can offer them. This will take time, months and years as a matter of fact. Approach the problem in doing a little each day to achieve what you want, don't give your talent away although helping the poor old lady down the street that cannot afford help will give you a good name. If thats what you want to do don't give up, the problem is people want success right now and it don't happen that way. Along with doing the job right have you thought about the time(s) you may screw the hardware up by error??:D Think things out and be prepared...good luck, you can do it!!!!

I've worked for two different computer repair businesses...2 to 4 techs in shop. it's amazing how simple so many of the problems are...anything from configuring printers...a cmos battery needs replaced...reseating hardware...reinstalling os...data backup...configuring network settings...on and on...the problems vary as widely as they do on this forum...So...loving what I do...I started my own business...rates are $75 an hour/ $50 an hour for students. All I need is a couple jobs a day...but I usually handle 3 to 4...sometimes more...sometimes less. If you have skills, and you feel confident you can handle certain problems...go get a business license, make some business cards and fliers, pass them out, post at colleges, always do the job right...sometimes I've had to bite the bullet...hours spent in relation to bill...no biggie...I get great referrals from those cases. I love what I do...I am my own boss...however, it takes persistence, determination, and it doesn't pay right away...you have to advertise, get referrals...it takes time for the momentum to build...once it does...you make your own schedule...work as much as you want to...and get paid for doing what you love...ya mon! have a great day and good luck... go for it!

I guess you could always go for an A+ cert or a MCSE...either of those might help, though I don't know if they're really neccessary. So far I pretty much agree with everyone here, find a computer repair shop, you could probably even apply at a place like Best Buy or CompUSA which both have repair/refurbish techs. You could also look at doing technical support for companies...Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom