13 svchost's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is normal. Some are created by several services trying to contact the internet. I currently have 9 opena nd i know my system is clean.

Cheers,
Mak

Yeah didn't think i had a virus or anything, was just wondering... Haven't seen them before.
Good that its all ok.

I would be willing to guess that you are runing Vista. It has more services and such that contact the internet for various reasons. That is why you see a higher number of svchost processes running at any given time. I had something like 20 at one point in time when i had about 30GB of applications installed.

Cheers,
Mak

I did say i have a vista. But yeah, i had 30GB or so free space and uninstalled stuff to get back to 250+

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - SVCHOST.EXE

Svchost.exe is a Generic Service Host Process for Win32 Services. It installs as a part of Windows 2000, Windows XP Home and XP Professional, Windows 2003, and the Windows Vista family of products. Svchost acts as a host for processes that run from dlls rather than exes. At startup svchost checks the Services portion of the Registry to construct a list of dll-based services that it needs to load, and then loads them. There can be many instances of svchost running, as there will be one instance of svchost for every dll-based service or grouping of services.

Under Windows XP you can find out what dll-based services svchost is running by typing Tasklist /svc at a Command Prompt (MS-DOS Prompt), while under Windows 2000 you need to use the tlist –s command from a Command Prompt (MS-DOS Prompt).

Because svchost is responsible for so many other processes, we'd strongly recommend against removing the file. Doing so could have unpredictable results.

You'll find background information on Svchost in Windows Vista at Windows Administration: Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 1. To learn how to determine if any services are running under a particular process such as svchost.exe, visit Windows Vista Help: End a process.

You'll find a description of Svchost in Windows XP at A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP Professional Edition.

For a description of svchost in Windows 2000, visit Description of Svchost.exe in Windows 2000.

Sadly, some viruses attack and hide in this file. If your system is behaving strangely, please run a complete scan using your favorite antivirus software.

# Safe

# Required

I am Winpatrol registered user, that is the info I got doing search on svchost.exe, BillP rules! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom