slow wifi speeds on on desktop but not on cellphone

I have serious doubts it's the OS, I have serious thoughts that it's an incompatibility between that router/modem combo and your wireless adapter.

Check the Netgear forum for your router to see if there are complaints about low wifi speeds for your particular unit, or if there are any potential compatibility issues?

That aside, researching your wifi adapter, I have found that it's complete junk, and there are MANY complaints about it being horribly slow, and just has bad reviews all around, on Amazon and Newegg both.

Quote from TomsHardware: Asus PCE N53 working slowly [Solved] - Asus - Components
Here is the solution. it helped me to get 300 mb/s with ASUS PCE N53.

1. Download latest ASUS driver for PCE N53 (for me it was ASUS PCE-N53 driver 5.0.35.0 for windows 8.1 64 bit). It's a ZIP file. Extract it. There will be 5 files. Make a back up copy to another folde in case of something goes wrong.
2. One of this 5 files is RaCoInst.dat. Open it with Windows Note editor. Now you have to find a line like this "RUS=10001000". For me it was RUS as I'm in Russia. Find your own country and change "10001000" parameter to "11101110". For me it became like this "RUS=11101110". It activates 802.11n. Save the file and lose it.
3. Go to Windows Devce Manager, find your wifi adapter and delet it. Refresh the list. Windows will find a new device. Now you have to install the driver for this device. Do not let Windows make it automaticaly, manually find the folder with the file we eddited (RaCoInst.dat).
4.Reboot your PC (maybe it's not neccesary).
5. Got to windows RUN, type in "regedit". Find the following string:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\XXXX
XXXX in this line is a sub folder. I have 7 of them: 0000, 0001......0007. For me it was 0000 folder. Click on it and you'll see a lot of parameters on the right side. Now find and edit the folowing lines:

AdhocNMode - 1 (to activate "N" in Ad-Hoc mode)
AllowBW40InBGBand - 1 (to turn 40MHz on)
AutoReconnect - 1 (autoreconnect)
CountryRegion - 1 (allows wifi chanels from 1 to 13)
SmartScan - 1 (multimedia/gaming mode)
TXBurst - 1 (speeds up the connection)
and finally
WirelessMode - 5 (for me it was 5. Try which is better for you)
0: legacy 11b/g mixed
1: legacy 11B only
2: legacy 11A only
3: legacy 11a/b/g mixed
4: legacy 11G only
5: 11ABGN mixed
6: 11N only
7: 11GN mixed
8: 11AN mixed
9: 11BGN mixed
10: 11AGN mixed

I also changed these lines:
CountryTxPwr - I set it to 20
CountryTxPwr5G - this HAS TO BE "1118181e"

6. Reboot your pc. Connect to wifi AP.

wtf well I thought I picked the best out of the bunch...
I wen to frys to get it, I had the previous asus adapter that worked great for years but it didn't have dual band so I thought I go with a well known brand did asus go down in quality or just this adapter?

but I'm also finding a lot of people having issues with windows 10 suddenly having lower wifi signal after upgrade

I'm gonna try what you posted thanks for the info

btw everything else on the network is fine
I got a security webcam through it and streaming 4k movies no problem( not while I test the speed of course lol)

ASUS is just like every other company, some of their products just suck... They make great things, but I have found their wifi adapters are not all that great.

To be fairly honest, about the only decent wifi adapters I have found, that are out for Win10 are all Intel and surprisingly a few Netgear USB dongles, and Intel doesn't make anything other than mobile style adapters as far as Wifi goes... Going to take awhile before we see good quality wifi drivers from manufacturers for Win10, as well as good quality hardware that Win10 can actually utilize properly

You can also get an m-pcie to pcie adapter card for wifi - though not sure how well they work.

That intel card is just a mPCIe card on an adapter... Like I said, Intel doesn't really make a "real" PCIe wireless card. They just shove their mini cards on an adapter, and off they go.

IMO, $50 and less is cheap for a wireless card.

Back
Top Bottom