Can I install my Windows 8 Pro SSD in another rig?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

Ok, here's the deal. I built a brand new AMD FX 8350 earlier in the month. I installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. Everything worked perfect.

I am just now finishing another new build [Intel 2500k with the EVGA Z68 FTW 160-SB-E689-KR] that I think may better serve my needs better. Oh, thanks PPM!

My big question:

Can I remove the SSD that has the Windows 8 Pro from the AMD FX 8350 rig and use it exclusively in my new Intel 2500k rig? Must I wipe the SSD clean and reinstall an new copy of Windows 8 Pro 64-bit?

I have other several other legit copies of Windows 8 Pro, but I prefer to not have to reinstall everything all over again.

Oh, one more question: The present SSD from the AMD FX 8350 does have all the drivers installed for the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Will this mess up my new system or can I simply install all the new drivers for my Intel 2500k with the EVGA Z68 FTW 160-SB-E689-KR?

Please let me know the truth.

Thanks,

Soar

I've done it with Windows 7 several times across different laptops. Won't hurt to try. If it doesn't like it, it'll just BSOD right away. Then the best option would be to re-install.

The "proper" way to do that is to run the command: sysprep /generalize on the first system before transferring the ssd over. Sysprep with the generalize command removes all the hardware specific drivers and sets up the drive with generic drivers. When you install it in the new system, the OS will detect new hardware and go about installing drivers (if it can). After that you can install your mobo chipset drivers and such.

Here's a tutorial: Windows 7 Sysprep. Note: You will need to re-activate Windows with this method so you need to have your License Key handy. If you have an OEM license, it may require you to use the phone to activate the OS.

Here's some info about product activation for Windows 8
Product Activation in Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8

Currently, M$ does not offer a retail version of Windows 8 that has a license that can be transferred from one pc to another. You can only get an OEM/system builder version and those are supposed to be locked to the original pc that they are installed on. If you can get it to boot up you might not be able to re-activate it

Last edited:

Currently, M$ does not offer a retail version of Windows 8 that has a license that can be transferred from one pc to another. You can only get an OEM/system builder version and those are supposed to be locked to the original pc that they are installed on. If you can get it to boot up you might not be able to re-activate it

Technically not supposed to; but you can call in and re-activate it and say it's only been on 1 PC.

The "proper" way to do that is to run the command: sysprep /generalize on the first system before transferring the ssd over. Sysprep with the generalize command removes all the hardware specific drivers and sets up the drive with generic drivers. When you install it in the new system, the OS will detect new hardware and go about installing drivers (if it can). After that you can install your mobo chipset drivers and such.

Here's a tutorial: Windows 7 Sysprep. Note: You will need to re-activate Windows with this method so you need to have your License Key handy. If you have an OEM license, it may require you to use the phone to activate the OS.

Ah, forgot about sysprep. Yes, that's the proper way to do it. I haven't had to do it when I did it with Win7, but wouldn't hurt to do it.

That's why I stated "supposed" be locked to the original pc. I do not know how restrictive M$ is going to be with this type of stuff. I do know that they only kept a record of your XP license for 180 days?, after that you could reinstall without having to call. I haven't heard if they are going with that type of route with 8

Last edited:

Joe,

Thanks for the great info. To be honest with you, I am not sure what type of Windows licenses I have. On my Windows 7 Ultimate, Microsoft gave my wife and I free copies when we attended a Microsoft Event in San Francisco. I have used these two licenses 4-6 times in the last few years. I simply build a new computer, decommission the old computer [erase the OS], then install the same Windows 7 Ultimate on the new build. Never had a problem with it ever before and Microsoft has given us each one copy of Windows OS's each time we attend the conferences.

On Windows XP, a good friend of mine gave me a copy of XP Professional 64-bit and for some reason, the key was good for as many computers as I ever wanted. This good friend was on the front cover of Fortune 500 because his computer company went vertical and is still thriving today. Maybe that key was a corporate key or something like that...anyway, I didn't abuse my privilege and only used it on my personal computers.

On Windows 8, I am using keys that Microsoft gave us through Dream Spark. Not sure what version that is. But it is totally legal and we never needed to pay even one cent due to IEEE and ACM memberships.

Thanks Joe! I suppose I will need to experiment with this version of Windows 8 and see what happens! I'll do my best to post the results.

Technically not supposed to; but you can call in and re-activate it and say it's only been on 1 PC.

Ah, forgot about sysprep. Yes, that's the proper way to do it. I haven't had to do it when I did it with Win7, but wouldn't hurt to do it.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Gosh, after reading some of the Windows 8 posts on this forum last night, I am tempted to just remain with Windows 7. Instability, driver issues, etc......ouch...sounds like it could be a headache.

Upgraded my wife's ASUS i5 Laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and it works purrrfect and she is happy as can be....

Decisions, decisions...

That's why I stated "supposed" be locked to the original pc. I do not know how restrictive M$ is going to be with this type of stuff. I do know that they only kept a record of your XP license for 180 days?, after that you could reinstall without having to call. I haven't heard if they are going with that type of route with 8

That may be true if it's a Retail license, but if it's an OEM license, if you reinstall, it'll make you call.

I've had to call in on XP installs when I worked at a computer shop and reinstalled XP with an OEM disc I had (rather than the manufacturer reinstall disc) and had to call in because it's OEM, as OEM = 1 activation.

try it.... if you have a key on an oem/builder XP box that's more than 120 days old, see if it will activate on another and use an XP oem/builder disk

Edit....my bad, it's 120 days
Microsoft has modified the procedure to let users start with a clean slate every 120 days. In theory, one could install Windows XP on a second PC 120 days after the first one was activated and the duplicate alphanumeric identifier wouldn't be challenged.
Loophole Emerges With Windows XP Copy Controls

Last edited:
I bought windows 8 when they had it for 60 bucks. put it on a maching that I built last year. I like it so much that I did a new build for it. I went to activate by disconnecting the internet which bring the phone option. It allow me to do it. I was going to explain that I did a pc upgrade, but they never asked. I back up both pc's with the Windows backup tool that they have purposely hidden

Back
Top Bottom