Potentially the longest thread in history...

So, my phone FINALLY got ICS. And I freaking love it. It gave my $50 phone the performance of a $200 phone. Buttery smooth, even with all my apps and crap on it.

I will say ICS is really really nice by comparison to GB. I liked it a lot when I was running it on that little HTC Hero I was working with a while back, but on that old device it was too laggy and slow. :[ Had to use a task manager to quit programs constantly to have enough RAM to function semi-properly.

Re: Today I have...

Yesterday I had an interview for a position I really, really want. It is for a field tech for a company that services electronic cash registers. Basically you travel around and pull maintenance on them, cleaning them out and replacing whatever needs replacing. You use a company car, work normal hours, and have the weekends off. The down side is that you are also on call but will seldom get a night call. I won't know if I got it or not until the 10th.

But, as for today, I had a major asthma attack. Almost ended up in the ER but I am too cheap and would not go. I ended up at a walk-in clinic for a breathing treatment and steroids. I am feeling beter but will still have to go back to work tomorrow.

So, my phone FINALLY got ICS. And I freaking love it. It gave my $50 phone the performance of a $200 phone. Buttery smooth, even with all my apps and crap on it.

Yeah, I love ICS on my Galaxy II. T-mo just rolled it out for my wife's phone (Galaxy Blaze) but I don't know if she will let me upgrade it or not.

Re: Today I have...

Yesterday I had an interview for a position I really, really want. It is for a field tech for a company that services electronic cash registers. Basically you travel around and pull maintenance on them, cleaning them out and replacing whatever needs replacing. You use a company car, work normal hours, and have the weekends off. The down side is that you are also on call but will seldom get a night call. I won't know if I got it or not until the 10th.

But, as for today, I had a major asthma attack. Almost ended up in the ER but I am too cheap and would not go. I ended up at a walk-in clinic for a breathing treatment and steroids. I am feeling beter but will still have to go back to work tomorrow.

For the job interview, here's hoping you get it. You'll find out on my birthday, so I should have some say if you get the job or not! *shakes fist*

Glad you're feeling better, sucks you have to go back to work. I know all about having to go to work when you're sick...leave policies...sigh.

I will say ICS is really really nice by comparison to GB. I liked it a lot when I was running it on that little HTC Hero I was working with a while back, but on that old device it was too laggy and slow. :[ Had to use a task manager to quit programs constantly to have enough RAM to function semi-properly.

The thing I like about ICS is that you can go into the Dev options and limit background processes, so it doesn't leave all the apps running. Even though my phone has sufficient hardware I limit them and it keeps everything running smooth.

Yeah, I love ICS on my Galaxy II. T-mo just rolled it out for my wife's phone (Galaxy Blaze) but I don't know if she will let me upgrade it or not.

I think she should. I didn't actually lose any of my data/media/apps, but I backed them up in case. Even though my update wasn't OTA, it only took about 20 minutes. It literally fixed the phone. Before the update, the battery lasted 5 hours MAX (airplane mode, Juicedefender Ultimate, etc) the WiFi was broke, the SD card constantly got ejected, and it was so laggy, even after multiple factory resets. ICS was definitely worth it.

My Rezound "officially" got ICS a few months ago. I've been running leaks / ROMs based off of ICS since I got my Rezound though, so I didn't really have much time to mess with it on GB.

I'm running JB on my DInc though... it's still damn smooth.

Well I'd have the 3 monitors plus the TV, but yeah. Since I already have the Active DisplayPort adapter while will work with my 27" monitor, so I'd be using every port on the card, haha.

You know, as a thought, if you told me 5 years ago I'd have 4 monitors--one of which being a TV--hooked up to my computer and they weren't all CRT style, I'd probably think you were lying. Rofl.

EDIT: So I've pretty much given up on adding more RAM to my machine until I build a new one. Since I have to match the CAS/voltage AND get sticks that can fit under my CCF, options are super limited:

1) Can replace current PI Blacks and get 2x 4gb sticks of DDR2 with stupid high CAS for a minimum of 160 bucks. No thanks.

2) Can replace all the sticks with matching pairs, making sure 2 of them can fit under my CCF, minimum of 100 bucks. Don't like this option because I want to continue using my PI Blacks since I won't use them for anything else...would be a waste.

3) I get a 2x 2gb kit with matching voltage and CAS, but the speed is DDR2-667 instead, which would throttle my PI Blacks down as well. Would cost 60 bucks. Still don't feel like it's worth it and I'd prefer to not throttle my PI Blacks down. Not to mention I may need to remove the heatspreader since it may be a little too tall to fit.

4) Get another kit of PI Blacks (paying 30 bucks more than I did back in 2009 mind you...), yank the spreaders off and stick them in there. 75 bucks.

All in all, I'm not sure it's really worth it at this point since I won't need that extra RAM once I make this my recording box, and I'm not even sure any of the RAM I'm looking at (even without spreaders) would fit under the CCF, so it would be a partial gamble already. Meh.

Unless someone magically has a kit of 2x 2gb sticks that are DDR2-800 with a CAS of 4 and 1.8-1.9v they would be willing to sell?

:FuManchu:
You can get slower cas RAM and set it to the higher cas. The blacks will run at a higher cas at 1.8v easily. I used to mix them with some OCZ Flex I had.

My Rezound "officially" got ICS a few months ago. I've been running leaks / ROMs based off of ICS since I got my Rezound though, so I didn't really have much time to mess with it on GB.

I'm running JB on my DInc though... it's still damn smooth.
Official ICS on the GS2 blows hard. Too much bloatware.

You can get slower cas RAM and set it to the higher cas. The blacks will run at a higher cas at 1.8v easily. I used to mix them with some OCZ Flex I had.

Official ICS on the GS2 blows hard. Too much bloatware.

I never use official ROMs; I've rooted both of the Android phones I have, as well as the Android tablet that I have.

Okay, just so I understand, you're basically telling me to throw the PI Blacks into say, cas 5, and get some DDR2-800 sticks that run cas 5 as long as they have the same voltage? I had never tried messed with CAS on my blacks unless I was overclocking and needed some extra stability, and I also come from the days where mixing CAS at all meant death for a machine. Talking like SD-RAM days.

I guess the Blacks would run fairly solid at a higher cas, considering it's less performance? Cheapest kit I can get that meets my voltage and speed needs is still 55 bucks...and I have no idea if it'll fit under my heatsink. Grr. I need dummy sticks to test...

EDIT: Maybe more like 49. The blacks are rated 1.8-1.9, couldn't I technically get a kit that's a solid 1.8 or 1.9?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom