Potentially the longest thread in history...

I cant figure this out for the life of me. Someone please help.

A 9 second simulation takes 20 hours to simulate. Just assume its output at 30fps.

So how much faster would a PC have to be to run the same simulation in real time at 30fps ? I came to 242,000x faster but I think I went very wrong because that seems like an absurd figure.

I'm no good at this kind of stuff, but I believe you are in the right area.

The more I think about it the more I think it might be right.

Assuming Nvidia improve PhysX and GPUs double in speed every year then we should get these kind of effects in about 18 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4UhtJTVa4

Times 1 by 2 again and again 18 times and you get up with a PC 262144x faster. hence 18 years.

Re: Today I have...

Maybe not. But companies like Cyberlink and Adobe usually take advantage of these things pretty quickly.

If they wanted to get real with raw power then every program would start implementing GPU acceleration for everything. I can encode much faster with a Fermi card helping me on a quad than I can a straight OCed hex. (Or AMD for faster DP)

I think Intel Quick Sync Video is better than discrete GPU acceleration actually.

CyberLink%20MediaEspresso.png

Last edited:

That's specifically for video transcoding though and gives lower quality results. When I encode, I want maximum quality. I'm speaking general purpose computing on an every day level. Parallel processing has shown GPUs are much better and quicker than CPUs. If code and software was there, we could process things much quicker than an average CPU concerning processor demanding tasks.

Yeah I know. I've been waiting for GPU acceleration in several programs and it had yet to arrive. Sucks.

Well worst part is, it seems F@H is the only damn program that fully utilizes GPU to the fullest extent aimed towards consumers. I have used tons of encoding programs and none of them fully utilize my GPU.

Back
Top Bottom