Potentially the longest thread in history...

I don't think it looks as nice at all. All the small details are just.. uglier than apples newest implementation. Off centre trackpad throws the whole level of symmetry off, larger bezel, black lid and black base are a downer.

Okay. Firstly, the trackpad is off center because there are more keys, like the numpad. The trackpad is always centered with the space bar if you haven't noticed...

Secondly, Apple has a whole department specifically for designing things to look good. Of course it's going to look better, and of course they're going to charge 1k more than they should because people like you will buy them because they look better. And pardon me for saying so, but I think that ASUS looks pretty nice, and I definitely have an eye for aesthetics...you kind of need to when you do artwork.

And it looks about twice as thick, which does definitely matter when you travel a lot on public transport like me.

Right. Not really. The ASUS weighs 1.5lb more than the rMBP. If that constitutes a serious problem for you, then there is something wrong with you physically methinks. I am not in the best shape by any stretch of the term, and I used to lug around my old laptop along with books and notebooks on public transportation...or walking...

2880x1800 screen makes a huge difference. It looks so sharp. It's awesome for photograph and video editing. Reading text heavy webpages is just nicer all round - the exact same reason everyone prefers high res screens on phones.

I wouldn't pay an additional 1k for a 15" screen to have a slightly better experience editing webpages or photo/video editing. And I happen to know quite a lot about the latter.

The trackpad on MBP's is the best i've tried, too. The keyboard is pretty damn good too. Though to be fair, i've not tried that particular asus model.

I haven't used that specific model either, but I have used models with similar keyboards/trackpads, and they are very well made...again, a throwback to older MBPs with better functionality.

I really do think $1000 is worth the thinness, retina screen, design etc. I would say the exact same thing is Asus did a high res, thin version of that laptop for $1000 more. It just makes so much difference too me.

Still can't fathom how, but then again I didn't exactly grow up being able to spend that kinda money on anything I wanted.

Battery life and heat. That new screen sucks serious power, the upgraded battery cells make it break even with what the older MBP could get. If they added a second dedicated GPU it would be an extra power draw, plus the fact that yeah, the heatsink options inside such a thin case are limited. Especially with a glued in battery taking up most of the space.

True, I assume a 2gb buffer would just make the abysmal battery life even worse, not to mention Macbooks in general have always had horrible heat problems...

I'll grudgingly agree, in this case in particular. While I'd love to see the highest res displays capable on anything and everything, I realise we have to talk pragmatically here.

I'm with you, I'm thrilled that technology is progressing as it has been. It's nice to see, but that doesn't mean it's worth the premium in that package.

For one thing, the manufacturing process for the screens is terrible from a repair sense (and eco sense), if you didn't shell out the extra $350 for Applecare and you damage the screen after a year, you're gonna have a baaad time.

I can only imagine repairing that thing without Applecare, ugh...and I try not to think about the eco ramifications of creating the screen, even though it's details page tries to rep their "eco-friendly"-ness.

I see both types every day (our workplace is Apple-centric in terms of hardware for both servers and workstations). I'd definitely say the screen looks very cool, and it is definitely sharper if you put your face really close, but from an average sitting position, it's a lot harder to tell. Not "I can't tell", just not "omg wow suuuch le difference".

This is pretty much the point I was making. By specs of course it would be sharper and clearer and all that jazz, but at that screen size and sitting distance, not so much.

The physical screen size is already small enough that 1080p looks smooth already. And I mean, what content am I looking at exactly that's made this massively expensive upgrade worth it? A UHD picture of a cat? oooh, cash well spent. I do a lot of photo editing (printing company), but not on a freaking 15 inch screen lol. I've got a separate 24" screen for that
I couldn't justify it for myself, just my opinion though.

If I was doing some work that required something like that I better have enough cash to afford a nice 30" or some IPS.

All my photo editing is specifically on my 27" Samsung, it has the best colors of my 3 monitors and it's much clearer to see due to the size. If I had the cash, I'd totally get some crazy awesome IPS but I make do.

I said run of the mill because most high end laptops (that cost about 1000 less mind you) have similar specs minus the pointless screen. For instance, look at TJs laptop, or even Yami's. Almost identical and IIRC TJs GPU is better.
I should point out I could've gone for a GT650m for the same price but in a heavier, larger chassis. I figured that 2.3Kg was enough without adding more weight.

Re: Today I have...

Been toying around with OS-X finally. I have never messed with a Mac before, but as a first time user I must say they made it too dumbed down. I really don't see how people use Macs on a day to day basis when it is so hard to simply "get" where you want to go. Basically what I'm saying is, they made the user interface and things you can do way too simple and the more advanced things you want to find are too hidden. That being said, I have decided I need to pick up a Macbook and just play with it for a long period of time with no distractions.

Also, today we watched Red Tails. I thought it was a good flick.

OS X is pretty good IMO. If you want advanced, open up the terminal. su and you've got access to whatever you want.
The way it handles files is also good, as could be expected I guess given the origins. Same easily-securable/powerful ACL and permission management, and the ease of installs/uninstalls for most applications. Plus AppleScript (if you're into scripting) is already installed and well documented, and can easily hook into a lot of other apps.

It's a little different to get used to, but once you setup expose/spaces (or mission control), I find it much faster to get around in than windows. With a trackpad and all dem gesture commands, it gets even easier.

Never used OSX, ever. Don't think I've even touched any non-iOS Apple products.

I've had to use OSX at work on student laptops when they bring their laptops in for help with wifi setup, etc. Still difficult to navigate for me sometimes just because all I'm familiar with in OSX is the network settings / keychain lol.

OS X is pretty good IMO. If you want advanced, open up the terminal. su and you've got access to whatever you want.
The way it handles files is also good, as could be expected I guess given the origins. Same easily-securable/powerful ACL and permission management, and the ease of installs/uninstalls for most applications. Plus AppleScript (if you're into scripting) is already installed and well documented, and can easily hook into a lot of other apps.

It's a little different to get used to, but once you setup expose/spaces (or mission control), I find it much faster to get around in than windows. With a trackpad and all dem gesture commands, it gets even easier.

I think my biggest complaint so far is lack of task manager, and it doesn't show anything happening when I install something. I click on something, wait a bit, and then an icon shows up in the dock. I'm like :Happy: dafuq just happened?
I guess I'm just used to 50 million confirmations, loading bars, install bars, or some form of progress to show me my computer is actually doing something.

I think my biggest complaint so far is lack of task manager, and it doesn't show anything happening when I install something. I click on something, wait a bit, and then an icon shows up in the dock. I'm like :Happy: dafuq just happened?
I guess I'm just used to 50 million confirmations, loading bars, install bars, or some form of progress to show me my computer is actually doing something.

Silent installs need to die. After working in my current job... I hate not seeing progress bars. Seriously annoying when I'm working on manufacturing equipment computers, and I can only be working on it for so long (break times, lunch breaks, scheduled downtime, etc.) and I don't know how long it takes to install software.

Back
Top Bottom