What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

What are you basing this actual mileage on? The EPA test is done under very controlled conditions and while it is not a perfect reflection of real world mileage it is a good way to see how various cars compare.

It's also worth pointing out that even assuming your 45mpg value is accurate that still puts the Prius well above the combined mileage of the Chevy Sonic and Ford Fiesta, both of which are considerably smaller than the Prius.

It is also worth pointing out that most people don't reach highway speeds very often on their commutes, even around here traffic often crawls along in the mornings and it's nothing compared to cities like New York, Chicago, LA, DC, etc.

Technically gasoline is already vaporized in engines .

The Fukushima plant actually had backup diesel generators and iirc limited battery backups for it's coolant pumps however the generators were knocked out by the tsunami and the battery camacty was to limited to operate the pumps for the time needed to replace the generators.
That's just it, EPA is controlled. You wont get real world readings at all on a test track with a bunch of white coats around. Pretty much a ton of people including Top Gear (I know half the **** they say is rubbish, but it's their opinion too) say EPA ratings are either fixed, or truly not accurate. According to EPA a brand new 2001 Cavalier is supposed to get 20 city. I know for a fact we get more than that, because all we drive is city now. That is with a motor that has 242k miles on it. If she were getting any less on that car she would be eating gas like my car which has problems.

I don't live in the country anymore hikari. We moved into the middle of the DFW area for a reason, and that is gas cost and consumption. Here in a week or two, I wont even have a reason to leave the city anymore.

Today that internet I bought was installed. Tomorrow I should be getting two packages. Hopefully.

I don't live in the country anymore hikari. We moved into the middle of the DFW area for a reason, and that is gas cost and consumption. Here in a week or two, I wont even have a reason to leave the city anymore.

Ah, gotcha. Well, you can at least appreciate the position of being in a place where highways and rural routes rule everything.

Well just because we don't live in the country anymore doesn't mean we wont have long travel times to certain areas. Just means we have to deal with traffic and constant construction now, which is a serious pain.

I want to add, even though I am a serious American Muscle kind of person and enjoy raw V8 horsepower, I'm not one of those meatheads that think fuel economy is nuts. I actually plan on having two vehicles eventually. My weekend roadster, then the daily save on fuel driver. Even though I completely hate diesel, I have been looking into purchasing a smaller diesel car with good gas mileage. I just seriously dislike the Prius, and what most people think when they drive them.

I'm averaging 38 mph on my TDI car. Considering it's a big heavy crossover, that's not too shabby ;) I think you should consider Diesel, PP.

I'm averaging 38 mph on my TDI car. Considering it's a big heavy crossover, that's not too shabby ;) I think you should consider Diesel, PP.
I actually looked up some Golf TDIs on CL last night. Found a nice 2001 for 6k. It would be great to have this to drive to work while I burn fuel on the weekends.

On topic, I just bought some ice cream.

Bought a new top case for a MBP, gonna attempt to repair someone's wine-sodden mistake.

I would love to have a diesel car but I'm afraid that it will have trouble starting in the colder winter months up in Maine. I also don't know of any diesel cars made by American companies either so that would also stop me from getting one. I don't have anything against foreign cars but as a US citizen I'd rather support US based companies.

US based? That's a pure dilusion, most all our cars are made in mexico, and canada, most all the parts come from japan, and mexico.

GM, the computers, all components are from japan, fuel system is from mexico, wiring system is from mexico.

Ford, most all is from, guess where, MEXICO!!!!

The seats for the "Big 3" are all manufactured mostly by Trim Masters, which has mostly left the states, and sent all work to, guess where! MEXICO!

Think I am telling a little lie? Think again, my family has been involved with companies that manufacture most the parts for the last 30 years for these companies, sure, they used to be 100% american, but now they are most always outside of the country.

Also, newer diesel cars are fine in the winter, and if it's cold enough to keep a car from starting, you should have a block heater or warmer installed.

US based? That's a pure dilusion, most all our cars are made in mexico, and canada, most all the parts come from japan, and mexico.

GM, the computers, all components are from japan, fuel system is from mexico, wiring system is from mexico.

Ford, most all is from, guess where, MEXICO!!!!

The seats for the "Big 3" are all manufactured mostly by Trim Masters, which has mostly left the states, and sent all work to, guess where! MEXICO!

Think I am telling a little lie? Think again, my family has been involved with companies that manufacture most the parts for the last 30 years for these companies, sure, they used to be 100% american, but now they are most always outside of the country.

Also, newer diesel cars are fine in the winter, and if it's cold enough to keep a car from starting, you should have a block heater or warmer installed.

Could be wrong here, but he may be talking about US companies in the way of supporting the factory workers.

Back
Top Bottom