Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I was under the impression no one knew how to drive manual over there.

Not quite. I started off on manual. I went away from it cause of knee problems but went back to it with my Civic cause they wouldnt have any automatics for 3 months. My wife didnt want to wait. So we got the manual and since then that is all we have driven. She bought a 2010 Suzuki which is manual. My brother in law just traded in his Mustang and got a manual again. So for the most part, there is only 3 people in my family right now that dont have manual. My sister cause she doesnt want one again but knows how to drive it. My father in law who got rid of his when he re-married cause his new wife doesnt know how to drive manual and then the step mother in law who was jsut previously mentioned.

So sorry to pop that bubble, but yes we americans do know how to drive manual transmission and in fact most of us would love to stick with them but they are becoming more and more rare to find here. I am getting my car brought to me on the dealers charge. A distance of over 150miles just to get the vehicle of my choice. Yes I am that picky about making sure I get my manual. :p

Well that's good to hear. Manuals are way more fun to drive, though they are annoying in traffic when your crawling at just 3 or 4mph, because then you need to be very precise with everything to make it move without stalling or going to far the other way and going into someones rear bumper :p

Although i'm getting a bit lazy. I often try and pull off in 2nd after lights, because i'm to lazy to change from 1st -> 2nd so quickly. Of course, the engine about stalls, but with a bit of clutch and throttle control it's doable. And you have the advantage of doing 30mph in 5th, to save a few pennies of fuel - even if it does mean you literally can not accelerate what so ever, atleast with my 1.4L engine anyway.

Oh gee, American stereotypes.

Not really a stereotype when it's kind of true ;) Auto's are way more popular over there than here. Though thats changing, it's easy enough to get any newish car in Auto over here if they have the option, it's not at all as if auto's are rare.

Trying to use my mum's ereader to... read some ebooks. It's one of the most s**t pieces of tech I ever used. You're lucky if it loads an ebook in less than a minute. Going through the menus isn't quite as bad but still painful (click left... wait... wait... *cursor moves*)
And it takes, like, 20 seconds to react to you removing the USB cable.

Wondering why Seagate keeps releasing these huge externals when nobody really wants these GoFlex things. I post on almost all of their Facebook posts regarding these externals saying we want internals that big.

Well that's good to hear. Manuals are way more fun to drive, though they are annoying in traffic when your crawling at just 3 or 4mph, because then you need to be very precise with everything to make it move without stalling or going to far the other way and going into someones rear bumper :p

Although i'm getting a bit lazy. I often try and pull off in 2nd after lights, because i'm to lazy to change from 1st -> 2nd so quickly. Of course, the engine about stalls, but with a bit of clutch and throttle control it's doable. And you have the advantage of doing 30mph in 5th, to save a few pennies of fuel - even if it does mean you literally can not accelerate what so ever, atleast with my 1.4L engine anyway.

Not really a stereotype when it's kind of true ;) Auto's are way more popular over there than here. Though thats changing, it's easy enough to get any newish car in Auto over here if they have the option, it's not at all as if auto's are rare.
Well the stereotype is no one can drive a stick over here, which isn't true. You just said you where under the impression nobody could drive stick (sarcasm), so I replied with my own sarcasm lol.

How can it be kinda true when I can sit here and rattle off person after person that knows how to drive manual? I have taught at least 3 dozen people myself over the years. If it was kinda true, then you would see the exact opposite. I know my bud who I have known since 4th grade also has a manual. My other buddy who has 2 kids and works 80+ hours a week knows how to drive manual but doesnt.

I can rattle off people all day from work that can. If it was so rare I wouldnt be able to name so many people. A stereotype means that what it implies is true. I am proof that it is not. I know far more people that know and drive manual than auto. The exact opposite of what your stereotype implies.

How can it be kinda true when I can sit here and rattle off person after person that knows how to drive manual? I have taught at least 3 dozen people myself over the years. If it was kinda true, then you would see the exact opposite. I know my bud who I have known since 4th grade also has a manual. My other buddy who has 2 kids and works 80+ hours a week knows how to drive manual but doesnt.

I can rattle off people all day from work that can. If it was so rare I wouldnt be able to name so many people. A stereotype means that what it implies is true. I am proof that it is not. I know far more people that know and drive manual than auto. The exact opposite of what your stereotype implies.

It's kind of true because the fact is a lot more auto's are sold in the US than manuals. Of course some people drive manuals, maybe even 49% drive manuals. But the majority of people drive auto's and unless it's changed thats just a cold hard fact.

My stereotype needs to be reworded, i mean most americans don't drive manuals, not can't drive manuals. I was just trying to make a bit of a joke to start with.. i didn't seriously think all 350,000,000 americans can't drive manuals ;)

Back
Top Bottom